Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of dropping old collections

tag
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

Effect of dropping old collections

I have 2 collection accounts which are scheduled to drop off in September and October this year. there is also a charge off from chase scheduled to drop off in March end. My question is do the FICO scores go up when a 7 year old collection account drops off? I was thinking as they are no affecting the credit scores now because of their age there may not be any change in score when they drop off. Do anyone have any idea how much my scores can go up if 3 bad accounts drop off ?

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Effect of dropping old collections

@sghosh5 wrote:

I have 2 collection accounts which are scheduled to drop off in September and October this year. there is also a charge off from chase scheduled to drop off in March end. My question is do the FICO scores go up when a 7 year old collection account drops off? I was thinking as they are no affecting the credit scores now because of their age there may not be any change in score when they drop off. Do anyone have any idea how much my scores can go up if 3 bad accounts drop off ?

Its hard to say how many points these are holding your score down but I can say they definiately are even at the 7 year mark. You should see a bump upward with their removal.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.