Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elaborate on the 3 card rule / advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elaborate on the 3 card rule / advice?

Hello everyone!

Since I started lurking the forums I have made great strides with my credit score! I started my rebuilding around 485, and now my highest score is 649! I'm so excited! I love watching my growth!

Now I know this question has probably been answered before, but I had a hard time finding the answer.  I currently have 3 cards. I have DiscoverIt Secured, Cap1 Quicksilver, and Victoria's secret. I was wondering if it's more helpful to have three cards issued by a bank (as opposed to having my third card being a store card) to get the best score boost, or does it make no difference?

If I should get another bank card, is there one anyone thinks I have a good shot at getting with my scores?

I currently have two collections account reporting.  The reports are saying they are from 9 months ago, even though they are years old in reality.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Elaborate on the 3 card rule / advice?

I'm not sure it matters if all of your cards aren't jssued by the big banks. Some potential lenders may look at the types of cards you have in their own way, but they should all factor in the same when it comes to your util and score.

The 3 you have already for example isn't a bad mix

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.