cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric Company falsely reported my account to collections. Help

tag
Anj74

Electric Company falsely reported my account to collections. Help

For the past year I have been reading everything I can about repair your credit and have made great strides on my own score.  UNTIL, Ambit Energy falsley reported my account to collections.  Please help me with what I should do.  Here's a quick summary:

-moved last summer and instead of transferring my electricity to the new address, Ambit Electric cancelled my service

-to try and fix their mistake, Ambit started a new account to get my new service up and running but linked it to my old account so I could still have all the bonus points I had earned over the last 7 years of service.

-With the cancellation of the old account, I recieved a bill that was nearly $500 greater than any previous bill with unexplained charges.

-Called to inquire, Ambit was unsure of the charges themselves and asked were "looking into it."

-Customer care agent took me off automated bill payment until they could reach a final invoice amount

This has been going on since June of 2013.  I call once a week, stay on hold for what seems like forever and the company still has no answer and gives me a different total each time with the response, we will call you back when we get an answer.  In the meantime, they reported my account to collections.  I have filed an online dispute.  The collection company has an amount of $382.74 whereas Ambit now says I owe $499.  The original incorrect invoice was for $690.

This has dropped my credit score by almost 30 points and am of course devestated!  Can someone please help me in how I should proceed?  I have filed a complain with the better business bureau and disputed the collection online as well.

Thanks so much in advance for reading this far!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Electric Company falsely reported my account to collections. Help

I would send a direct dispute to the company.  You have already disputed with the CRAs so you may want to wait and see the outcome.

If it is verified, send the direct dispute but be prepared to supply information that was not already given to the CRA or they can say it is frivilous.

You may be able to dispute via FCBA if it is purely a billing issue.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.