Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Employer Credit Check

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Employer Credit Check

@Anonymous wrote:
Agreed, I would think swampthing is an exception.

I would also say the bonus misstatement may have played a very large part. That would be considered a falsification of the application, which is huge and would automatically be grounds for rescinding an offer in most places.

Agreed- I inverted two numbers in the figure. I had even double checked everything but had submitted that part late at night and made a mistake. I really think it was the two things coupled together and not just one. 

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've heard of the mortgage industry giving trouble to some folks but it's so hard to find concrete research around it.  All I can find is that each state is different in how they analyze reports.  They also say that in most cases once they receive an explanation they will move forward.  

also heard most employers mainly look for current late payments, open/unpaid collection accounts. 

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well based on everything you mentioned Swampthing, I would say you are better off 100%.  You got two promotions (which would not have happened if they didn't like, which goes a long way) and you also decided to clean up your credit (like me).  I will definetely keep everyone posted and see how it turns out.  I actually just received a call from a recruiter from the employer (only took 30 mins) to take an assessment and fill out a background check.  

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think positively! Can't wait to hear your good news! 

@Anonymous wrote:

Well based on everything you mentioned Swampthing, I would say you are better off 100%.  You got two promotions (which would not have happened if they didn't like, which goes a long way) and you also decided to clean up your credit (like me).  I will definetely keep everyone posted and see how it turns out.  I actually just received a call from a recruiter from the employer (only took 30 mins) to take an assessment and fill out a background check.  

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

Message 15 of 29
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Awesome!! Good for you I hope you get that job! I'm chiming in here cause I have some experience in matters like this. I made some mistakes when I was young. I've been passed over for jobs that paid half of what I make now because of my background. I have been hired for jobs making 20% more than I make now inspite of it. It is my belief that you should NEVER EVER EVER sale yourself short and not apply for a job you are capable of doing because you think you won't get it for whatever reason! Always take the chance because past mistakes should not make you afraid to achieve more! Again good luck.
Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the encouragement. Honestly I hadn't even thought about applying to a lot of places because of it. Even this one, I was very hesitant. I hope it all works out... And if it doesn't I am sure there is something else out there! I'll keep everyone posted.
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you guys so much.  This certainly gives me some reassurance.  I have no outstanding unpaid collections, no late payments for more than 2 years and have been working on rebuilding my credit for a while now.  My credit score per CK is 647 (TU) but as you mentioned they do not necessarily look at the score.  I can only hope they see that all collection accounts have been paid off and are at zero balance.  Your respones have given me confidence and I actually applied for the job just a few minutes ago.  I am going to cross my fingers! 

I think you will be fine, employer credit inquiries are usually soft pulls and do not include FICO scores.

When I started working for the feds, they pulled all 3 credit reports for me, no credit score but highlighted each open collections and asked me to explain each one of them during the interview. 18 months into the job they asked me to show that I had paid any open collections or that I had a payment agreement with the creditors. Luckily by that time I had already started reading credit repair boards and had already paid off some collections. They haven't bothered since that time. Civilian jobs are more relaxed on the credit inquiries though, don't worry Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for the encouragement. Honestly I hadn't even thought about applying to a lot of places because of it. Even this one, I was very hesitant. I hope it all works out... And if it doesn't I am sure there is something else out there! I'll keep everyone posted.

I do have experience with this and it was surprisingly positive.

I applied for a job with a consulting company for a Federal Government Agency.  The consulting company actually called me about it and I declined, stating my credit was in the bottom of the bottom.  They called me back again a week later and the HR guy encouraged me to apply anyway.  It was my first Government related position.

My credit was really (really!) bad and I actually had a Lis Pendens for a foreclosure action on my house and six COs for CCs and my car had been repo'd the month prior.

I had to fill out volumes of pages (over 70) and fax them back.  The people that handled interim Security Clearances were patient and I explained the circumstances that lead to the credit meltdown was a catastrophic illness for my DW (now fine) and that I was unemployed.

I had to show proof for items I had paid and outline a repayment plan. 

But they hired me and I started working soon after.

Within 18 months, the Security people wanted (Ok, demanded) that I find a professional law agency that would create and manage a debt resolution plan for me.  I was fortunate to find a good legitimate company and they took on my case to resolve my CC debt.  I had to pay about $530 a month and they took 'professional fees' and also 'management fees' but they negotiated with each CA, or OC when possible, and they helped me resolve all of them.  Overall, it was a very good thing, because I was never sued, no judgements, and all have been resolved, and will finsih rolling off my CRs by Feb 2016 and my scores are in the high 600 range now.

So, in summary, yes, you can become employed with bad credit, if it wasnt a deliberate scheme to defraud creditors.  I have also heard from some of my co-workers that were hired with aBK on their records.

They are however, concerned about arrests, even if  you were in a pre-trial intervention or pleaded no contest.  Some people I knew had to write LOX about a DUI from 15+ years prior.

Oh yeah, and after 2 years with the consulting company, I saw a job posting at the Federal Agency and I applied and was hired.  They continued to monitor my progress with resolving my debts. 

So I say, go for it, and Good Luck!

hth

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very encouraging guys!  Thank you for your responses and feedback.  I am going to remain positive and try to make things work out!  

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.