cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced Recovery Debt

tag
maelstromB

Enhanced Recovery Debt

So I violated probably one of the golden rules of sharing an apartment with a roommate, and that was allowing my name to be the only name on our Comcast account several years back when him and I first moved in together. Needless to say, I moved out first into my own place and then he moved out a couple of months later, only never returned the modem and "forgot" to pay the last two months of the cable internet bill like he stated he would, and which I, foolishly, had believed he would. I know, stupid me.

Anyways, since then the account was passed to Enhanced Recovery in the amount of $121 (principal)/$151 w/ added fee. Due to this, there is a collection trade line on my CR that I would like to have removed (if I can help it) and I would like to get this negative account taken care of already.

So my question: How do I proceed with this collection and get what I want? Should I pay the amount in full or try to settle with them in some way?

Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Re: Enhanced Recovery Debt

I would contact the CA and negotiate a PFD (pay for delete - you can search this term here on the forum and get lots of suggestions/ideas on how to go about that).  If they agree to delete the tradeline in exchange for payment in full, I would ask them to send you something in writing to that effect and you will immediately send payment.  Sometimes they will not put it in writing and you have to take them at their word (scary).  I would really push for something in writing.  

Good luck!

Message 2 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Two issues.

First, payment of the debt, and second, CR deletion.

Payment of the debt will prevent escalation through legal action if the debt is still within SOL.  It wont matter if paid in full or for less, as the debt will be satisfied.

It will also show others reviewing your CR that the debt was satisfied.

Ideally, one would want CRA deletion in addition to satisfying the debt.  However, CR deletion will require negotiations with the creditor by way of a PFD offer.

Should they accept, any issue of legal action is gone, along with appearance in your CR.  However, acceptance is  beyond the control of the consumer.

Presumably, the higher amount you offer, preferably a PIF, the better the chances of their acceptance of CR deletion.

No specific answer.  It depends on its SOL status, your need for immediate CR deletion, and their willingness to do a PFD.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a CA from them, Comcast as well. Had it removed no problems. Mine was $207. Well, if you do pay it your credit score will go up, that's always been my experience though. By the way what is it that you want? You can either force them to varify which 9/10 they won't be able to and it will be deleted off....but may come back only with a different lender....or you can pay and they'll leave you alone. 

Message 4 of 16
maelstromB

Wow, thanks for all of your replies! Smiley Happy What I'd like preferrably would to be to have the debt satisfied and a PFD of the tradeline. Although, like some of you have said, it may be difficult to get it in writing BEFORE submitting any sort of payment... Considering it is such a small amount though, I would guess (and maybe this me being naive) that it wouldn't be THAT big of deal to get a PFD, no? I suppose every situation is different and from my experience, it can sometimes wholly depend upon what rep you get. :/ 

Has anyone dealt w/ ERC personally w/ a debt like this and come out on top? If so, what were the steps taken and/or what did you say to achieve success? 

CASuccess, you said you dealt w/ a CA regarding a Comcast debt and managed to get it removed. So just how did you go about it? 

Message 5 of 16
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

I just sent them a DV.  There is a collection from them listed on 2 of my CR's that just popped up a couple of months ago, but neither of them state who the OC is.  They have never sent me a dunning notice or called.  It is a couple hundred dollars, but I have no clue what it is for.  It can't be cable as you and one other poster is suggesting your OC's are for because I have had the same cable company for over 5 years.  No clue.

Message 6 of 16
maelstromB

From my research these guys work for a large # of JDBs... so honestly, it could be anything. Although, don't expect to get much back w/ that DV letter. I've read a ton of posts across a # of forums w/ ppl who have dealt w/ these people and the concensus is that 9/10 they send out a DV letter to them and never receive anything back... with some even stating that after sending a DV, ERC continued to call about the debt (which is a violation of the FDCPA). I would just keep an eye on your CR and play the waiting game. If you don't hear anything in over 30 days, I would submit a dispute w/ the credit bureaus.

Message 7 of 16
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

@maelstromB wrote:

From my research these guys work for a large # of JDBs... so honestly, it could be anything. Although, don't expect to get much back w/ that DV letter. I've read a ton of posts across a # of forums w/ ppl who have dealt w/ these people and the concensus is that 9/10 they send out a DV letter to them and never receive anything back... with some even stating that after sending a DV, ERC continued to call about the debt (which is a violation of the FDCPA). I would just keep an eye on your CR and play the waiting game. If you don't hear anything in over 30 days, I would submit a dispute w/ the credit bureaus.

Yay! Smiley Mad  In a couple of weeks it will be 30 days since I sent my letter.  If I don't hear anything back (which it is looking like I probably won't), then I will do as you suggested and submit disputes (for whatever good that will do).  

Thanks for the info!

Message 8 of 16
maelstromB

No prob! I'm just relaying what I've discovered in my findings. Although, since you did mail the DV letter almost 30 days ago and still have not received anything, it may just drop off w/out incident, especially if they can't validate and therefore produce the paperwork in response to the DV. Some ppl have stated that has happened as well. But filing a dispute can't hurt either. 

Message 9 of 16
Datx
Valued Contributor

Just sharing my experience. I got Enhanced Recovery off of my sister's credit reports by sending them a simple DV.  About a week or two later, they simply went away. Never sent a response to the DV letter within the 30 days. But, they did send a copy of a statement shortly after the 30 days. Nothing else other than that. They are still off my sisters CRs, and Im just watching out if they decide to come back.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.