Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced Recovery Deleted!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enhanced Recovery Deleted!

Got an alert last week that a new collection showed up on my EQ and EX reports. It was from an old $450 Sprint bill from 2013 that I was supposed to pay when I switched carriers. I first called ERC and asked if they would agree for a PFD for full payment and the lady told me no, they don't do PFD and they will just update as a paid collection. I just hung up the phone and called Sprint finance dept. and they agreed to take my payment in full and close my acct out with a 0 balance. They said they would pull collection back from ERC. 

I then contacted EQ and EX the phone and told them that I had paid Sprint directly and wanted ERC off my report..today it was deleted. Hope this helps someone dealing with ERC. I think if the OC is willing to accept your payment in full means they still own the debt. So ERC will delete with no problem.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Enhanced Recovery Deleted!

Wait. What?! You can just call and tell them that?
I did this same thing with Att. Only Att promised to pull the account back and then didn't follow through. I'm sitting with a $0 collection and I'm so pissed! (At myself, mostly!)
Can you send me more info? I don't want to screw this up too.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who did you pay AT&T or ERC? I didn't pay ERC..I paid Sprint directly and immediately call Equifax and Experian to dispute the collection. ERC wouldn't be able to verify the debt because I already paid the acct off to $0 balance. I don't think they can report the collection as paid because I didn't pay them, I paid Sprint..so they just deleted it. 

If you paid ATT directly you should do what I did..just call CB and explain that the debt was paid directly to ATT and not ERC. They should delete. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this exact problem with ERC from a sprint bill from 2013. When you called sprint did you pay them in full? I've been paying on my bill but I still owe. If I need to be prepared to pay in full then I will save money and then call sprint.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Who did you pay AT&T or ERC? I didn't pay ERC..I paid Sprint directly and immediately call Equifax and Experian to dispute the collection. ERC wouldn't be able to verify the debt because I already paid the acct off to $0 balance. I don't think they can report the collection as paid because I didn't pay them, I paid Sprint..so they just deleted it. 

If you paid ATT directly you should do what I did..just call CB and explain that the debt was paid directly to ATT and not ERC. They should delete. 

Thanks for the tip! I have a $72 AT&T CO with ERC and they haven't responded to the 3 PFD letters I sent them. I will try this method instead.

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You were fortunate that they decided to voluntarily delete.

They were not required to have deleted their reporting based on your payment of the debt, regardless of whether you paid the debt collector or the creditor, if they still had colletion authority at time of payment of the debt..

In fact, CRA policy is that furnishers should not delete based on payment of the debt.

The only required deletion wuold have been if the creditor actually terminated the collection authority prior to taking payment.

CRA policy then informs them to delete their collection if they no longer have collection authority and the debt remains unpaid.

That was not the case, as it was stated that the OC accepted payment and dispute was immediately made of the continued reporting of the collection.

No termiantion thus occured prior to payment.

The debt collector was required only to update the collection to paid, $0 balance, and close the collection.

Message 6 of 11
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Hello! I've been following this forums for years as I've been rebuilding my credit without ever posting. I thought I'd chime in with my experience. With all of my collections falling off, my heart sunk when ERC popped up on my credit report a few months back. It was an old T-Mobile bill. I decided I'd take my chances and call T-Mobile. They said they'd only take my payment if I paid in full. So I did. They said they'd let ERC know. About a month later i noticed ERC completely deleted it from my reports without me doing anything! I got lucky too Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I am having this exact problem with ERC from a sprint bill from 2013. When you called sprint did you pay them in full? I've been paying on my bill but I still owe. If I need to be prepared to pay in full then I will save money and then call sprint.

Yes, I paid Sprint in full and they said that they would close acct with $0 balance.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You were fortunate that they decided to voluntarily delete.

They were not required to have deleted their reporting based on your payment of the debt, regardless of whether you paid the debt collector or the creditor, if they still had colletion authority at time of payment of the debt..

In fact, CRA policy is that furnishers should not delete based on payment of the debt.

The only required deletion wuold have been if the creditor actually terminated the collection authority prior to taking payment.

CRA policy then informs them to delete their collection if they no longer have collection authority and the debt remains unpaid.

That was not the case, as it was stated that the OC accepted payment and dispute was immediately made of the continued reporting of the collection.

No termiantion thus occured prior to payment.

The debt collector was required only to update the collection to paid, $0 balance, and close the collection.

Before I paid a dime to Sprint or ERC I searched this forum for past ERC experiences and in almost every post people were dealing directly with ERC and trying to PFD or making arrangements with them.  I seen a post from you on CRA policy and I said I was screwed. My first call went to ERC ..asked them to PFD and when hey didn't agree I just hung up. Called Sprint and paid full balance. 

I was always under the impression that if the OC sold the debt off they could not accept your payment because it's already written off as a loss. And the CA buys the debt pennies on the dollar., so any payment would go to CA..but if the OC accepts payment they must still in fact own debt. So what interest would a CA have in a debt that they couldn't get a dime off off, so it makes sense that they would just delete and move on to another debt they can profit off of. 

On one of the other posts I read the OP was about to close on a house that month so they filed complaint with BBB and dispute as first step..I guess when they see you're  going to play hard ball they sometime give you are hard time. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called sprint this morning to verify my account because I really suspected that it was my husband's account and not mine however either way it has to be paid. They told me that if I called them making weekly payments then when my balance is zero they will have enhanced recovery delete it from my credit report. I don't have this in writing but it's a chance I'm willing to take because enhanced recovery sends my checks back to me so I will never be able to pay this bill through them.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.