Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced Recovery Dispute - Made Some Bad Moves

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enhanced Recovery Dispute - Made Some Bad Moves

Hello All!

First, let me say that this is an awesome forum!  I have learned quite a lot about cleaning my report.  I am about to get married next year an would like to have my scores in the 700s.

My problem is this:  I was reviewing my reports and saw a collections that was assigned to Enhanced Recovery via AT&T for $77.  I could not remember this account, as I had just paid an account with AFNI for $400.  Confused, I called Enhanced and disputed, the agent on the phone said, "fine, I'll note that you have disputed" and hung up.  I immediately called Experian and disputed the charge.  Then, after over 7 hours speaking with every department at AT&T trying to get more information on this account, I decided to own the bill.

I was told by a rep at AT&T that if I paid the $77 they would recall the account.  I asked the rep numerous times were they sure this could be done (should've got this in writing) and he reassured.  I paid the account.  When I called back the next day, a new rep said that this could not be done...so that was my mistake.  

So...since I paid this account directly with AT&T, have I lost my leverage with Enhanced for PFD or GW?  Should I contact Enhanced to see if they have done anything to verify the account?  Did I mess up altogether?

At least it's paid.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Re: Enhanced Recovery Dispute - Made Some Bad Moves

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All!

First, let me say that this is an awesome forum!  I have learned quite a lot about cleaning my report.  I am about to get married next year an would like to have my scores in the 700s.

My problem is this:  I was reviewing my reports and saw a collections that was assigned to Enhanced Recovery via AT&T for $77.  I could not remember this account, as I had just paid an account with AFNI for $400.  Confused, I called Enhanced and disputed, the agent on the phone said, "fine, I'll note that you have disputed" and hung up.  I immediately called Experian and disputed the charge.  Then, after over 7 hours speaking with every department at AT&T trying to get more information on this account, I decided to own the bill.

I was told by a rep at AT&T that if I paid the $77 they would recall the account.  I asked the rep numerous times were they sure this could be done (should've got this in writing) and he reassured.  I paid the account.  When I called back the next day, a new rep said that this could not be done...so that was my mistake.  

So...since I paid this account directly with AT&T, have I lost my leverage with Enhanced for PFD or GW?  Should I contact Enhanced to see if they have done anything to verify the account?  Did I mess up altogether?

At least it's paid.

Thanks for your help!

Hello !

If you paid AT&T directly, they CAN pull it back from outside. All it takes is a phone call from to the collection agency to get it resolved. They usually keep an "internal" collection for a while & I hope that you kept records of the payment (debit/credit/cancelled check....this is your leverage). You may wish to call back & ask to speak with someone in account receivables as the floor supervisor (or Tier 2 rep). If the account had been sent "outside", they would not be able to touch you at all (but that's commission they don't have to pay them either)....and that's typically after 120 days past due. When I used to work Customer Relations for AT&T Wireless, that was typically the way it worked.

The usual order of collection was ActiveClient Services (internal) ---> then Nationwide Recovery----> then EOS.

SisterGirl 

SisterGirl
Message 2 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You can still GW them.  The debt is paid, they can't make you pay it again.  Get one in the mail now!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt was satisfied, there is no longer any active collection to "call back," whatever is meant by that term. 

The second the debt was paid, regardless of who accepted, there was no longer a debt.  The OC was required, upon satisfaction of the debt, to promptly notify their debt collector that there was no longer an outstanding debt, and thus any collection activities were no longer appropriate.  The debt collector was then required to update their reporting to the CRA to indicate the balance under collection was now $0.

An OC cannot "call back" reporting made by the debt collector.  They can call and request the debt collector to delete their reporting, but cannot compel them to do so.

They can only terminate their collection authority, which in this case was already terminated as a matter of fact by satisfaction of the debt.

I would try to pursuade the OC to request the debt collector to delete, and/or send GW requests to the debt collector.

As for other actions, such as now requesting the debt collector to verify, any DV would have to be timely, and even if timely it would only impose a cease collection bar on them.  It would not compel their verification.  With collection already terminated, a cease further collection bar would be meaningless.

Additionally, even if they did decide to provide verification, it would only require the statement that "We verify the debt is now $0.".

Message 4 of 5
erlafontaine
Valued Member

Im kind of in a similar situation .as I also have a paid in full account from AT&T that is being reported by Enhanced Recovery...however let me just advise you that AT&T recalled all of their accounts from Enhanced Recovery back in 2011 ........At the time Enhanced recovery sent requests to all the credit bureaus they had been reporting to delete all the AT&T tradeline and they no longer collect for AT&T.  For some reason the credit bureaus (mainly equifax) didnt delete them as requested.  .....Call back Enhances recovery and advise they to resend the delete request.........I did and they removed mine ....also dispute it on your report through the Credit bureaus and not that these were suposed to be removed as enhanced recovery recalled them back in 2011

Starting Score: Decem 2012 - 568 (EX) ?? (TU FICO) 464 (EQ FICO) 540 (TU) 511 (CREDIT KARMA) 549 (QUIZZLE) 608 (CREDIT SESAME)
Current Score: December 2013 - 633 (EX) 585 (TU FICO) 583 (EQ FICO) 611 (TU) 591 (CREDIT KARMA) 623 (QUIZZLE) 660 (CREDIT SESAME) 660 (CREDIT.COM)
Goal Score: 700 across the board - Hoping to buy a home by March 2014..All baddies removed except for one stubborn First Premier who refuses to take it off even though it's PIF! GRRR

In my wallet: Home Depot $500 | Buckle $250 | Express $500 | Loft $500 | VS $350

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.