Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced Recovery & Collection Question

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Enhanced Recovery & Collection Question

I have read over posts about ERC not being allowed to report anymore, at least that was the case a year or so ago.

I recently had luck getting some collections removed from my CR's, but I am having trouble with the final 3.

One is from ERC for a $61 balance that I paid over a month ago, before I disputed its validity.

Did I kick myself in the foot by paying it? As far as my CR goes? It's not due to fall off until 2021, yet a couple others I also paid off came off after disputing them.

There are also 2 medical collections reporting from the same business and CA. Both right around $100.

Any suggestions as to possibly getting that paid ERC removed or for the two medical collections that should have been taken care of by my insurance?

My EX has zero baddies now, TU has the paid ERC showing and one of the medical collections, EQ has the paid ERC and both of the medical collections showing.

My EX jumped 42 points after the final baddie came off.

Would love to get these other ones taken care of.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Enhanced Recovery & Collection Question

Once you have paid a debt, there is no longer technically a debt to dispute.

When you disputed, what was the asserted inaccuracy that formed the basis for their required investigation, and what did the Notice of Results provide as the outcome?

As for the medical collections, have you exhausted the possibility of the debt being paid by the insuror?

If you obtain payment by the insuror, the new CRA policy as set forth in their National Consumer Assistance Plan will provide deletion.

Message 2 of 32
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG

I checked the box that requested verifying the data, as some of the info was incorrect.

I also disputed it because I had just paid it and was hoping it would be deleted from my report, like other baddies had been.

As for the medical collections, I am on disability (permanent, anxiety disorder) and have Medi-Care and Medi-Cal.

The office that I received treatment at assured me my insurance covered my visits, as they have signs posted that co-payment was due before seeing the dr, I went along with it and didn't think anything of it.

Cut to a year or two ago when I pulled my annual CR, I saw them on there, but hadn't been trying to take care of my credit yet. I hadn't yet discovered this site.

So now I just don't know if there is anything I can do.

Thank you for your reply!
Message 3 of 32
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Having paid the debt does not provide a basis for disputing the accuracy of continued inclusion of the collection in your credit report.

What was the asserted inaccuracy that formed the basis for your dispute?

Message 4 of 32
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Oh and I have not received any Notice of Action from either of the 3 CB's, which I find odd.

One of them I disputed through CK with TU on May 8th and it still says there's an open Dispute. Not sure what to do about that.

Well, the inaccuracy was me thinking that since I paid it, I no longer owe it, therefore thinking it meant it should be deleted, but I see now how that is not the case.

I really think CA's or OC's should have an incentive for people to pay their bills. Such as it no longer showing on your CR.

I think it's unfortunate that had I not paid it, it would probably be off of my report now, but since I did the right thing and paid it, I'm 'punished' for another 4yrs.

Something definitely wrong with that.
Message 5 of 32
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Collections, whether paid or unpaid, have the same credit report exclusion date of no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of your first delinquency on the OC account ("DOFD").

Paying did not affect when the collection will become excluded.

The CRAs rountinely exclude at approx. 7 years from the DOFD.

Message 6 of 32
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I know, but they deleted unpaid collections and would most likely had deleted this paid $61 collection that will probably prevent me from any CLI or new card that pulls TU, such as Synchrony, for over 4yrs.

Pretty steep punishment if you ask me.
Message 7 of 32
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Having collections on my report didn't keep me from getting a CLI from synchrony, Amex or Discover...nor did it stop Amex, Chase and PenFed from giving me new CCs...

Message 8 of 32
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Sadly, it has stopped me.

I just got approved for an AMEX with my highest SL yet, and I can't get a CLI on my Amazon or a couple other cards because they say I have collections on my report.

The only reason.

Fortunately AMEX only pulled EX and that report is now completely baddie free.

I believe Amazon pulls from TU here in CA.

Just tried again tonight for an Amazon CLI and got the 7-10 day letter thing.

I'm happy that my credit is progressing, but I know now not to pay collections (not that I will get another one) anymore since they will stay on the report and haunt me as opposed to not paying and getting them deleted.
Message 9 of 32
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Paying or not paying a collection, in and of itself, is not a reason for deletion. In fact, any collection that was deleted before the end of the credit reporting time period can reappear on your reports up until the credit reporting time period ends.
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.