Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equidata no longer manages cox acct

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equidata no longer manages cox acct

Hello all. I have a collection agency on my report called Equidata. It was for a Cox cable bill. Equidata does not own the acct they just manage it and today I received a call from another collection company Progressive financial services. They stated they just received the acct from Cox communications so they can collect. This means Equidata no longer manages the acct. So my question is; will Equidata remove themselves from my report since they don't own the acct nor manage it? Should I begin a dispute or send Equidata a letter to remove? Or will they just stay on the credit. Any advice would help thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equidata no longer manages cox acct

Welcome!

Either your scenario is correct in that Progressive bought it or was assigned it, or maybe Progressive is collecting on behalf of the other CA. In any case, I'd resend a DV letter to Equidata and prep a DV to Progressive, once you receive their dunning letter.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got the call today, the girl said she was calling to collect on the cox bill and I asked her if they bought the acct and she said they did not buy it they were assigned to it by cox communicaitons. so I told her equidata was already collecting on it and the girl said they have no knowledge of equidata and there is nothing on her side saying anything about equidata the assigment came directly from cox. Can 2 CA's collect on one acct? Im preparing DV's now

Message 3 of 8
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Besides phone calls, have you received anything from either CA in the mail? Are you wanting to pay this off? If so, check your credit report to see if cox is still reporting a balance. If yes - call them directly and work things out. If no balance is shown, then you need to find out which CA owns the debt now. Sounds to me that cox is hiring two people to go after the same debt....which isn't illegal as long as only one reports to the bureaus. Hope I helped out rather than confuse. It's another evening with ambien.
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying,

I called cox about 2 weeks ago to see if they could recall the debt and i can make payment arrangements. they didnt budge but I did ask them if they still own the acct and they said yes. Today's call is the first call from progressive CA. the girl said they received the assignment to collect of behalf of cox last week but i have not received anything in the mail from progressive financial. I check my credit report daily and neither cox appears nor progressive only equidata which has been reporting for the last 2-3 years and I was about to send them a PFD because I want it out of my life and that is the only collection acct I have but since it seems like another CA handles it now, im wondering if equidata will just remove itself . 

Its been an ongoing battle with equidata for a while now thats why i was about to do a PFD with them and if indeed they remove themselves or do nothing , the battle will now have to be with progressive financial

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Both debt collectors were required to have sent you dunning notice within 5 days of any intitial contact with you.  In addition to advisement of your DV rights, their dunning notice is required to name the creditor on behalf of whom they are collecting the debt.  That requirement exists to provide the consumer with knowledge of the current owner of the debt.  Have either or both sent timely dunning notice, and within that notice, did they comply with that requirement?

If the OC states that they still own the debt, they should be willing to tell you who their currently assigned debt collector is.

I agree, DV both debt collectors, and in that DV, ask them for the name of both the OC and the current owner of the debt.  Naming the current owner is required by dunning notice, and the consumer has the right to additionally request identification of the OC within their DV letter.  It looks like they are throwing obfuscation at you.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG,

The history on this acct is that I usto live in San Diego when the acct went downhill and in 2009 I moved to Tx where i am now living. I dont think they have my current address because everytime i call Cox they allways pull the old adress i usto live at so i dont know if the CA or the OC have sent any type of mail. Here in texas i have not received anything. I'll call cox today to find out who is managing this debt. If cox confirms that only progressive is managing, what will happen to equidata? will they just delete themselves or do i have to tell them to remove? do any of the collection laws change if the debt was in cali vs. me living in tx now?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

just an update. i did the online despute yesterday to despute Equidata and today it was deleted. im waiting on equifax's and tu results.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.