Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax 70 point score increase!!!

tag
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Equifax 70 point score increase!!!

Hey everyone!  I am a long time lurker of the forums, and recently decided to join as I am taking a more proactive approach in rebuilding my credit.  A little background......my credit score at one point was in the high 300's Smiley Sad  

Now for the good news!  I received my myFICO scores for the first time on January 20th and my EQ score at that time was 513.  My boyfriend added me as an authorized user on his BofA credit card that he has had since 2002 with no lates, and very low utilization.  The card is reporting on all 3 of my credit bureaus and has boosted my score tremendously!  In addition, I have been actively paying off other debts which I am sure is aiding in my credit score boost as well.  There are still a few accounts that  I have paid off that are not yet reporting the updated information, one being an old AMEX account that had a 10k balance that I paid off at the beginning of this month, and two AFNI collection accounts that I paid off yesterday!   I recently even had success on a PFD letter on a medical bill that I paid in full.

Its looking like I will officially be debt free (minus my student loan) no later than June of this year....woot woot!!!! 

I am SOOOO proud of me, and I can't wait to see how my score continues to improve!  I will be getting a secured credit card from my bank in the next month or so and will only use it for gas, and a few smaller things that I will be sure to pay off every month.   

I just want to thank all of you for the great advice, and words of wisdom you all share on this site!!! 

Starting Scores: EQ 513, TU 547, EX 563
Current Scores: EQ 686 FICO TU 684
Goal Score: 700+
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Equifax 70 point score increase!!!

Hi and welcome to the forums,

No lurker no more, welcome to the myfico family.Congrads on paying down your debt and soon to be debt-free.

Woo Hoo.gif to you!!!                Thank you for your story,wow 70pts thats great.!!

Well now since you are registered and no longer a lurker, I'll see you around on the forums.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 5
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Thanks so much!!! 

If anyone has any advice on how to continue to raise my score such cc usage etc, I would greatly appreciate it.  Getting back into the cc game scares me b/c I don't want to do anything to hinder my progress.  Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

I'd finish the bad debt off before I looked for additional cards, personally.

Make sure you've opted out at optoutprescreen.com

And keep up the good work!

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
GettinCreditSavy
Established Member

Thanks Mauve!  I am only going to do the secured card through my bank for now, until I have completely eliminated everything.  Once that's done, I don't plan on applying for any additional credit in the immediate future. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.