Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Dispute

tag
ABattle
Regular Contributor

Equifax Dispute

I did a dispute w/Equifax online & I received an email advising they needed a copy of my drivers license, social secruity card/w-2 form & a utility bill in order to process my request w/24 hours.  Is this normal for when you do one online.  This is the first time Ive ever received an email from them advising the need for this info when it's done online.  Just a little skeptical is all.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equifax Dispute

I've done a few and have never needed to submit that information or id items.

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BrandonSS wrote:

I've done a few and have never needed to submit that information or id items.

+1

I've never needed to provide that info online or hard copy.

Maybe give them a call and see what's up.  It would be nice to know if EQ is having trouble with your ID, or if someone's trying to garner your info.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Equifax will ask for this items if they can verify your identity.

Message 4 of 7
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

yes, they did this to me also - but for a valid reason - I had a different address showing on my cr -- I had to update my drivers license - i think they want two forms of id and one must be a photo.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ABattle wrote:

I did a dispute w/Equifax online & I received an email advising they needed a copy of my drivers license, social secruity card/w-2 form & a utility bill in order to process my request w/24 hours.  Is this normal for when you do one online.  This is the first time Ive ever received an email from them advising the need for this info when it's done online.  Just a little skeptical is all.

It can also depend on what you are disputing and whether there is a fraud alert on your CR or not.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I think O6 may have hit on the reason for this request.

If your dispute in any way raised issues that the disputed information is not information relating to any transaction authorized you you, that raises their obligation to consider possible identity theft.

As such. they should request "appropriate  proof of the identity of the consumer."     FCRA 605B(a)(1).

If just a plain vanilla dispute, this is not necessary. But non-authorized reporting may requrie that you show proof of identity.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.