Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Issue Please Vote Your Opinion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Issue Please Vote Your Opinion

Ok, so I had my bankruptcy discharged back in august. This one credit union was reporting incorrectly, not a problem, filed dispute and got it removed from TU, and EX. EQ refused to remove it, instead they modified it to "Current-Open-Over balance by 120%" So awesome, now I have a credit report showing 120% utilization! I've tried to dispute it online several times but they kept confirming it. Last dispute ended in first week of september. I contacted the original credit union and they, after a very heated argument agreed to provided me with a letter stating I had no open accounts with them. They also said that it can take up to 90 days for the CRA to correct the information.

My question is should I:

1) refile an online dispute and attach this letter

2) file a snail mail dispute

3) just wait a couple more months to see what happens?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax Issue Please Vote Your Opinion

What exactly was the inaccuracy that formed the basis for your dispute?

Many consumers have the expectation that any showing of inaccuracy requires deletion of the information.

The dispute process only mandates deletion if the information is not verified as being accurate as reported and also cannot be corrected so as to overcome the asserted inaccuracy.  Additionally, any deletion would only apply to the specific information that was disputed, and not necessarily to the entire account or collection.

In most disputes, the consumer asserts how the information should be reported as the basis for showing of inaccuracy in the current reporting.

Thus, if the info is not verified, then the CRA can simply update to show the info as asserted by the consumer without any need for deletion of any information.

Before contesting the finding in the prior dispute, I would consider what exactly was inaccurate, and whether that inaccuracy was properly handled by the CRA.

Deletion is not the only required outcome.

What was disputed, what was the finding of the CRA as to its specific accuracy, and how was the reporting updated?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I may have mis-spoken in original post.

So maybe this will help clarify

TU

Credit Card Acct XXXXXX               Balance $0           Closed 

EQ

EX (This is the inaccuracy; it should read same as ones above)

Credit Card Acct XXXXXX               Balance $2,700  Open/Current   Over Limit

I just want them to correct the inaccuracy, the account is closed with a $0 balance. I have letter from bank stating this yet EX refuses correct innacuracies. I think I am going to do online dispute one more time and include this letter. If that does not work then I'll move on to written dispute and then to lawyer.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry I may have mis-spoken in original post.

So maybe this will help clarify

TU

EQ

EX (This is the inaccuracy; it should read same as ones above)

Credit Card Acct XXXXXX               Balance $2,700  Open/Current   Over Limit

I just want them to correct the inaccuracy, the account is closed with a $0 balance. I have letter from bank stating this yet EX refuses correct innacuracies. I think I am going to do online dispute one more time and include this letter. If that does not work then I'll move on to written dispute and then to lawyer.

Was the account included in your BK? 7 or 13?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it was included in my Chapter 7

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, it was included in my Chapter 7

Then by law, the balance should be zeroed and it should be listed as "IIB". Send a copy of your BK filing showing the account to EX with a written dispute.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, but they are not doing it. I've already submitted a copy of my discharge. They have actually suspended my ability to dispute online LMAO. Everytime I attempt to log in it states my information is wrong. So I will resort to a snail mail letter along with another copy of my discharge and a copy of the letter from the credit union. Hopefully they correct the information this time. If not I will have to try and find a lawyer to take care of it. What are the lawyers that specialize in these type of cases?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly, but they are not doing it. I've already submitted a copy of my discharge. They have actually suspended my ability to dispute online LMAO. Everytime I attempt to log in it states my information is wrong. So I will resort to a snail mail letter along with another copy of my discharge and a copy of the letter from the credit union. Hopefully they correct the information this time. If not I will have to try and find a lawyer to take care of it. What are the lawyers that specialize in these type of cases?

Try consumeradvocates.org

Message 8 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you actually received a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation ona a prior dispute, or have you yet to complete an actual dispute?

You need a concluded dispute to pursue civil action.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I actually have 2 copies of results of investigation.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.