Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Online Dispute: Info

tag
Phunior88

Equifax Online Dispute: Info

Hi,

Does anyone know what Equifax verifies when you dispute something on your report?

My dad's credit card is showing up on my Equifax report. My dad and I have the same name (I am a Jr.) and same home address. I went to dispute it throught the equifax website, but am unsure how they will tell the difference. What if they just look at the name and street address?

Anyone know how Equifax verifies accounts/account owners?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

Re: Equifax Online Dispute: Info

The difference would be the social security number the credit account is assigned to. Date of birth would be another big one.

Best bet is to actually call Equifax on this one. They've got a toll free number. Have your credit file handy so that you can intelligently and slowly explain the situation to Equifax on the phone. In most cases they can kick the dispute to the right department where they can verify that the credit account is not yours and doesn't belong on your report. The results would be mailed to your address on file.

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 2 of 5
swtneka
Frequent Contributor

@unusuallyconfused wrote:

The difference would be the social security number the credit account is assigned to. Date of birth would be another big one.

Best bet is to actually call Equifax on this one. They've got a toll free number. Have your credit file handy so that you can intelligently and slowly explain the situation to Equifax on the phone. In most cases they can kick the dispute to the right department where they can verify that the credit account is not yours and doesn't belong on your report. The results would be mailed to your address on file.

What is that number? Can u pm me?

Message 3 of 5
gwizdak24
Frequent Contributor

I agree, calling them is your best option and they are very friendly and takes care of dispute giving you a confirmation number. Be prepared to fax info to them aka your s.s and I.D.

Message 4 of 5
goosedog
Regular Contributor

A Jr and Sr mixup is quite common if living at the same address. Also you need a copy of your most recent credit report. it should have the number on it. If not, go to the CREDIT CARD forum, there should be a number for the CRA you seek.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.