Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Paid Tax lien removal date

tag
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Equifax Paid Tax lien removal date

I had a tax lien from august 2007, it was finally paid off in august of 2012. The amount was quite large.  I have heard different stories on when it should be released. I have heard that it is 10 years from file date or seven years from year it was paid which ever is first. 

I also heard that if it is paid off then it is 7 years from file date. 

Could you please explain which date is correct???  Thanks so much ahead of time!

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
silkysean
Regular Contributor

Re: Equifax Paid Tax lien removal date

@traveler2005 wrote:

I had a tax lien from august 2007, it was finally paid off in august of 2012. The amount was quite large.  I have heard different stories on when it should be released. I have heard that it is 10 years from file date or seven years from year it was paid which ever is first. 

Could you please explain which date is correct???  Thanks so much ahead of time!

First off was it a federal tax lien because if so you can it withdrawal if not for Equifax it's 7 years from th date paid/released or 10 years from the date filed.They are very difficult.I Had to have my federal Lien Withdrawal and they were the last one to remove after much paper work and disputing.So with tax liens if you can contact Issuser and file to have it withdrawal and removed completely if you can.If not 10 years for you will be next year since that comes first.So if paid its which ever comes first 10 years from file date or 7 years after date paid.You should be ok August 2017 it will be deleted 

Message 2 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The statutory provision:

FCRA 605(a)(3)  "Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years."

Message 3 of 11
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The statutory provision:

FCRA 605(a)(3)  "Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years."

So does that mean 7 years from date of payment or 10 years from filing? Or does that mean if its paid that it comes off 7 years from filing date?  Sorry, I don't know the legal lingo  Smiley Happy

Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@traveler2005 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

The statutory provision:

So does that mean 7 years from date of payment or 10 years from filing? Or does that mean if its paid that it comes off 7 years from filing date?  Sorry, I don't know the legal lingo  Smiley Happy

yea i don't understand it either. example. stays on for 10 years from the date filed or 7 years from the date paid. So if it was filed in 2010 and i paid it in 2019 it wont come off until 2026? because it's 7 years after it was paid, therefore can be on your CR for a total of 16 years....doesnt make sense

Message 5 of 11
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Thats worse than a BK?????

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@traveler2005 wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

The statutory provision:

yea i don't understand it either. example. stays on for 10 years from the date filed or 7 years from the date paid. So if it was filed in 2010 and i paid it in 2019 it wont come off until 2026? because it's 7 years after it was paid, therefore can be on your CR for a total of 16 years....doesnt make sense

From what I can understand when the tax lien is paid? The removal date is shorter of the two. Using example above, if it's filed in 2010 and is paid in 2019? Then it goes by 10 years from filling date, which it should be removed in 2020, if it was paid 6 months after its filed? Then it goes by 7 year from when it paid.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@traveler2005 wrote:

It "should" be removed by Aug of 2017. However Experian removed two paid tax lien on their own 7 years from the filling date.

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The 7 year exclusion period begins to run on the date the lien is paid.

The date the lien is recorded or filed is irrelevant under the federal FCRA.

If you paid it in Aug 2012, then the lien would become excluded after Aug. 2019.

The FCRA has no ten-year provision that applies to tax liens.

If you are seeing reference to some additional provision of exclusion at 10 years from filing of the lien, it is likely a provision of some state statute or reg.

That might, if you live in such a state, put an overall cap on the exclusion period of 10 years even if unpaid.

There is no such provision in the federal FCRA that applies to consumers in all states.

States can enact legislation that shortens the periods set within the federal FCRA, but cannot enact longer periods.

Thus, it is not necessary to check state laws for any possible extension provision once 7 years from date paid has passed.  The federal FCRA mandates exclusion no later than 7 years from the date you pay the lien.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax / Transunion Paid Tax lien removal date

I have written a personal request with official backup from the State releasing my State tax liens and sent certified mail. These liens have been paid since 2011 and 2015. (2) of them are showing correctly as being paid or "released" (SMALL amounts less than $800.00 for both). That is fine but as we all know these are adversely affecting my scores. I have discussed this on two occasions with the customer service department. In each case they keep referring to their "policy" and in one conversation the need for the State to issue something to help them make a decision to remove. I requested a copy of their policy. In review of the policy I see as I had already knew.....it states that " Paid tax liens remain FOR UP TO 7 years from the date released".

The description "FOR UP TO" occurs 12 times on the "Policy" in reference to all positive or negative accounts.

In my research and recollection from school the definition of " FOR UP TO" indicates a maximum amount.....also used as a discretionary term or elective.  "Capable of" also comes to mind. I found it really strange that the customer service department and the supervision team did not use the "FOR UP TO" terminology. They had to corrected to understand that their policy has a phrase indicating that they have discretion and can remove any record at anytime from the date of submit for "UP TO " 7 or 10 years dependant.

My contention with Equifax and Transunion (who has the same policy) is that Experian removed these (2) records from my report just as I asked them too. 

How can I get them to understand the definition of their own words? and remove the record.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.