cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax Split File, Identity Theft - UGH!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax Split File, Identity Theft - UGH!!!!!

I found out I had a split file at Equifax. I had called EQ about a tradeline that wasn't going away even though the creditor was sending deletes on it, and they said I had a split file. Sent in my ID and SS Card to resolve the split file. A couple weeks later I got a letter in the mail saying EQ couldn't merge my files because there was too much data. I was confused - all of my accounts were on the file I could see up until now.

I looked at the letter, and on this letter was my OTHER EQ file containing nothing but all of the accounts that I had previously 605B fraud blocked, my Navchek that should have been deleted and my current Disco card! MyFICO updated with this 'new' file, and my FICO 8 score now shows that it's 437. I called and was told by a dispute rep that my 'real' file was gone, that I only had one file now. The supervisor confirmed as well. All baddies and a single positive credit card. I get to start all over, and pray that I don't get any more cards closed or balance chased. I faxed in a 605B fraud block request again to EQ, with screenshots of my credit report, etc.

To make things worse, I saw that the auto loan that some idiot in California took out with my social years ago is on my report again, with the current month as the last time it was updated. Same CA as before. I called the CA, as I had previosly confirmed with the OC that this was fraud and they pulled it back. The CA says that they are going to court before SOL runs out in May, they don't agree it's fraud. Apparently my LexisNexis confirms the address history they have, as the CRAs reported my ID thief's address history.

Step 1 - Requested file disclosure from LN, split file merge from EQ. Results of this come at the same time, showing me bad LN and EQ files.

Step 2 - December 27 - Sent, waiting on results - I disputed all names, addresses, emails and telephones with LexisNexis. Sent in documentation including police reports, etc. Apparently, LN does not have a 605B process.

Step 3 - January 10 - Sent, waiting on results - 605B Fraud Block request again to EQ.

Step 4 - Handle the auto loan. This part has me sweating bullets.

Anything else I can do? Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I can't afford to defend a lawsuit across the country, and I can't afford not to either.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Equifax Split File, Identity Theft - UGH!!!!!

As for the lawsuit, you can file a motion of "improper venue" as you do not live in the state they wish to sue you in.  A lawyer can do this very cheaply through the mail.  Talk to a lawyer.

As for the rest. Perseverance. You have all the right documents. EQ made a mistake, it will be fixed.  I would recommend contacting all of your creditors and ask them to process an  offcycle update.  This will quickly restore your good creditlines on your report.  Or else over the next 30-60 days it will return on its own as they report.

note 1.  Closed accounts will not report unless you contact and ask.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like EQ is violating Federal law, maybe state law, and your rights under either law.  Why haven't you hired a lawyer to pursue a lawsuit against them?

In my opinion, a split file isn't allowed under the law.  I am not a lawyer, but nowhere do I see the law allowing them to have a split file for any reason.

I wish EQ would split my file, I'd love to make more money on them.

I'd send them a demand letter giving them X amount of days to correct their violations or there will be blood.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice so far! I haven't hired a lawyer yet, as I have been attempting to resolve this on my own the last couple of weeks. I honestly didn't think a lawyer would be feesible until I gave EQ a chance to fix this again. I can't see how an unintentional software problem would be legally actionable without giving EQ an opportunity to rectify the situation. I am also not a lawyer, and could be wrong. 

I will call all my creditors and ask for an off-cycle report. I did check on the report dates from my previous report, and about half of my creditors actually should have reported between deletion time and now. They are not appearing on my credit report still. It appears I have this split file still. EQ asks for another 48 hours to process my fraud block paperwork. They can't find it.

I just got off the phone with LN, and spoke to someone stateside. She had a completely different tune than the previous agent in Manila. She is following up with a fraud manager on my complaint and says this will be fixed within 4 days, per the law. WIN! This means I can dispute with the collection agency again and actually have backup from LN.

Thanks for listening to the madness. I have to get it out to not hold onto it... I am on the brink of crazy.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called EQ this morning and they claimed to still not have my latest fax. Their 48 hours is more than up at this point. I tried to get a report refresh from EQ and got that error that means that my file is too large. I then trotted over to Credit Karma and it refreshed my report because I had not logged in for a long while. It shows a report date of today. The LOC is there but with no payment history at all again. All of the collections are gone. My name is correct and the bad address is gone. Maybe this means they did something.

LN I will have to call and see tomorrow, if they are open. Hopefully they took care of the junk in my report. At that point I will be able to sucessfully get rid of that damned auto loan.

Question - How prevalent is ARS reporting? Should I worry about them too?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.