Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax & Cap One question

tag
brenda1924
Valued Member

Equifax & Cap One question

Hi! 

I'm wondering how soon Equifax begins to rate on a credit card.  I recently opened up a Capital One credit card back in mid January in hopes of beginning to rebuild my credit and build up my score, however I notice that TransUnion and Experian are reporting on my payments, however Equifax has a blank white box that means unknown.  I'm currently at scores of 579, 588, and 635 I believe, and am trying to bring up my 2 low scores to at least 600.  Does anyone know how long that will take?? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax & Cap One question

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

I noticed that you listed 3 scores for each of the 3 CRAs, I assume. As of last year consumers (thanks to EX) can no longer pull their own EX FICO scores. If you got those three scores from the same source (other than from your lender), then you don't have your FICO scores for any of the 3. You can only get your EQ FICO from here and from Equifax.com. You can only get your TU FICO from transunioncs.com (not the -cs) or from here. Finally, we can't pull our EX FICO but you can still get it from a small CU in PA called PSECU on your checking statement or from your lender. If you don't have FICO scores, then you may want to pull it. They may be higher.

I brought all of that up because FICO really doesn't score the positive history. If your CapOne updated tomorrow with a payment history through April, you wouldn't see a score change on that alone. Now you might see a score change for other reasons like changes in utilization. Ideally for max points, you want all but one CC to report $0 with the remaining reporting a balance of less than 9% of the CL.

Message 2 of 7
brenda1924
Valued Member

The scores were from when a lender pulled credit reports from the 3 credit bureaus.  My fako scores are much higher like 643, 663, and 630.  I only have one credit card, a car payment, and student loans.  My student loans have been deferred.

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Bummer. I was hoping you'd find higher scores. Go with what your lender gives you.

Do you have any baddies holding your scores back?

Message 4 of 7
brenda1924
Valued Member

I have some derogatory accounts that are mostly medical.  I paid them off and am wondering if the Hippa process would even work for them.  I've read you can't use it if you pay the CA and then I've read you can't so I'm confused...I did write a GW letter to most.  IC systems responded immediately saying they'd requested my accounts be deleted.  I haven't seen that as of yet, so I mailed out copies of the letter I received from IC Systems to Ex,TU, and EQ.  My other one is Ford Motor Credit.  They sent my account to their charge off dept without informing me.  I was in a car accident in which my insurances paid their part.  When I talk to Ford they say they don't know who I can't talk too about how this happened. 

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Per HIPAA, google "HIPAA process". I never was up on it. The premise behind HIPAA was the privacy issue. If you pay an OC, and if the CA is reporting, you can get the CA to delete due to the privacy provisions within HIPAA. I read the law 100 times I think and I never could correlate the advice offered and the law. But it worked. Seems like there were quite a few folks who paid the CA and still got HIPAA to work.

With Ford, and most other lenders, if your car is involved in an accident, you (or insurance) have to pay the balance immediately. If you have the $$$ to PIF or if SOL expired, then send a PFD.

Message 6 of 7
brenda1924
Valued Member

I will try the hippa process, as for Ford....I paid them in February because I called to check on what was going on.  I called the usual Ford Credit number but they then transferred me to another number.  They never told me it was the charge off dept.  I read somewhere that it had to be 120 or 180 days before something is sent to charge off, and we weren't at that point yet.  Don't they have to tell me it's in their charge off dept, esp if they are taking my payment??

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.