Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax come back Verified..WHAT? Need Help

tag
timeforrepair
Valued Member

Equifax come back Verified..WHAT? Need Help

Hello,

I setlled an old account with Sallie Mae and they emailed me a letter saying i was settled in full. I sent a letter to all 3 CRA's with a copy of the Sallie Mae's letter and EQ just fininshed their investiagationmaking no changes and they have verfied the balance, etc...So of course i will call Sallie Mae ask when they plan on updating CRA's but should I also call EQ because its obvious they didnt do any thing with this

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: Equifax come back Verified..WHAT? Need Help

Even if this account is settled in full it still will stay on your credit report for 7 years.

Message 2 of 7
timeforrepair
Valued Member

Yes i understand that, But the blance was $4421. They didnt update to 0 and mark it settled they just left it like I never paid anything. In other words left it just like it was BEFORE i settled the account

Message 3 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

How long ago did you settle this?

This is why I am not a fan of disputing via the CRA's. I know there are people who report getting magical results from doing so, but there are also plenty of us who find that CRA's suffer from a variety of baroque procedural issues that may hinder them from moving quickly.

(Personally, I'm convinced they may be filling in personnel gaps by hiring Vogons. Just my take.)

Message 4 of 7
timeforrepair
Valued Member

I settled in about a month ago. I think the best course now is just call SLM and get them to handel from their end. im with you know it clearly shows they didnt do anything with it. Had they checked it would have shown settled

Message 5 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@timeforrepair wrote:

I settled in about a month ago. I think the best course now is just call SLM and get them to handel from their end. im with you know it clearly shows they didnt do anything with it. Had they checked it would have shown settled

Their legal requirement to check is fairly minimal, another reason I focus on getting the creditor to update rather than bothering with the CRAs. Sallie Mae is the issue. If they haven't changed the way they're reporting to the CRA's, checking the record wouldn't have helped anyway.

Message 6 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@timeforrepair wrote:

Hello,

I setlled an old account with Sallie Mae and they emailed me a letter saying i was settled in full. I sent a letter to all 3 CRA's with a copy of the Sallie Mae's letter and EQ just fininshed their investiagationmaking no changes and they have verfied the balance, etc...So of course i will call Sallie Mae ask when they plan on updating CRA's but should I also call EQ because its obvious they didnt do any thing with this

If you initated a online dispute it would've gone through e-oscar. Me personally I think it means well but its not accurate at all. Sallie Mae is required to update the bal to $0 once they received the final payment. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.