Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax dispute process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax dispute process

Disputing on Equifax.  Already completed same task on TRANSUNION last month, love them, TU, albeit being my lowest scorer they make the process easy.

Email from Equifax on Sunday, give confirmation number and link to check my dispute progress. 

Checked today.

No active disputes. Can't view current updated report without buying it. Computer error or...

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax dispute process

Equifax is evil. But it took about a week I think before I could check the status. All it told me when I finally could check was "pending". Until it finally said "completed" 27 days later. Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EQ dispute took forever to complete. Each week they would send me an email saying they'd received my dispute and issued a confirmation number. Then, when they finally completed the dispute they didn't even correct everything. The number one item was my name and they didn't even bother to correct it. Grrr! Called them on a phone to try to get it figured out and they started a whole new dispute. (The Rep and I were NOT understanding each other and it was beyond frustrating. I should have asked for a supervisor.) The new dispute was completed in less than two weeks and guess what - the Rep mispelled my name and left the previous incorrect name as an alias. They are insufferable.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blah.  I was hoping my new buddy TU would send my completed dispute to EX and EQ.  Checked today and so far nada.

Credit is a marathon, not a race.  Well yeah, it takes some disputes 60+ days to resolve. Smiley LOL

C'mon EQ, I believe in youuuuuuuuuuu

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A CRA does not send a copy of your dispute to other CRAs unless it deals with identity theft.

The FCRA places the burden on the furnsiehr of the information under dispute to notify all other CRAs to which they have also reproted the disputed informstion if their investigation finds an inaccuracy that they correct with the CRA handing the dispute.

A party who is aware of an inaccuracy in their prior reporting has a statutory obligation to promptly update the reporting as necessary to maitnain its current accuracy.

See FCRA 623(a)(2) in general, and more specifically, when the inaccuracy is determined by way of a dispute, see the requirement for the furnisher to also notify all other CRAs under FCRA 623(b)(1)(D).

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My dispute was updated today from Equifax.  Found via CK.

Though TU is easy to dispute via CK, I'm finding snail mail my favorite option as I feel I can write my specific dispute more appropriately rather than selecting from a pre made list.

i have not done my homework and read into those specific laws. I need to. I assumed I needed to send my disputes for accuracy individually to each bureau. Smiley Sad. Guess what I'm doing today!

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I'm having the same problem - but with TU - I disputed something on EX and EQ and had it off within 2 days.   TU is being slow.....

Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Unless your dispute pertains to credit inquiries, public record information, or personal identification information, you can avoid entirely use of the CRAs by sending a direct dispute to the furnisher of the disputed information.  That ensures that they get all documentation and arguments, respond directly to you, and that they notify each CRA of any corrections or deletions that are the result of their investigation.

Message 8 of 12
thesecondtimearound
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Disputing on Equifax.  Already completed same task on TRANSUNION last month, love them, TU, albeit being my lowest scorer they make the process easy.

Email from Equifax on Sunday, give confirmation number and link to check my dispute progress. 

Checked today.

No active disputes. Can't view current updated report without buying it. Computer error or...

Super shady Equifax strikes again! Buyaobuyao, I suffered the exact same fate on two separate occasions for EQ disputes. Because of this, I strictly correspond with them thru snail mail. I hate waiting and I'm no fan of the post office, but I feel that paper trail makes them actually do their job. Plus, if you dispute online, you give up some of your rights--like the right to an updated hard copy of your CR. Now that might not seem like a big deal at first...but it might later on. ...Like when you're presented with some vague nonsense error message instead of the investigation results. 

Give Cust Serv a call. That's what I did and the agent verbally gave me the outcome of the dispute. I then asked about the updated copy I'm supposedly entitled to. Her response was that they don't mail results initiated online, but keep trying the website! *sigh* That 1990s song by Blues Traveler comes to mind when I think of EQ... "Oh...why ya wanna give me the runaround?!" Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called to ask them to remove a dispute comment and they said they would and that it would be updated in 48-72 hours.  So I checked and there is a dispute.  So I called in again and explained my situation and they once again said ok and that they understood and would fix it.  I checked again and I have 2 DISPUTES???? Are you kidding me.  Now I am just going to have to wait and let them run their course becuse I DO NOT want a 3rd dispute!! OH MY GOODNESS...soooooo irritating!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.