Did you mean: 

Equifax dispute question

tag
bsl
Established Member

Equifax dispute question

Hello all, 

I am disputing a collection from a T-mobile account for $200

I am disputing because I have never had a T-mobile account.

I received an email from equifax stating that they needed me to fax in a copy of my DL and my Social Security / Paytstub.

I was about to send it in, when I see that the email states that they may and will send this info to relevant third party in dispute for verification...

My question is.. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD I DO THAT? If they give my information to the collection agency, what is going to stop them from fixing up on their end to make sure all their details match my personal info?

Have you guys been in a similar spot?

Thanks

Starting Score: EX (MyFico): 567, EQ (MyFico): 575, TU (MyFico): 597 04/04/14
Current Score: EX 05/04/14 (MyFico): 610
Goal Score: 750+ Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
imovinup
Regular Contributor

Re: Equifax dispute question

I've done many disputes with Equifax and never ever touched that button, only because I know for a fact everything was mine. I know if I did check it, it would result in a identity theft/fraud alert issue. My guess is they are trying to help you by having you prove it wasn't you who opened the account . I would send the SSN and DL as Equifax already has the information and if its the same as the collection agency then there's no need for them to foward it. If it different then perhaps T-mobile wants to move on and find the right person. You have essentially opened up something big they will need your help to prove what your disputing. IMO 

Starting Score: 5/30/13 TU 630; EQ618: EX PLUS639
Current Score: 4/2/15 TU 661; EQ 617; ; EX FICO 631
Goal Score: 700

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax dispute question

My preliminary reaction is that you are most likely using the wrong process to address your issue.

Your dispute alleges you have no account/debt with the creditor.

The CRA will forward your dispute to the creditor for their investigation.

If the creditor has reasonable documentation indicating you are the respnsible party, they can verify.

They are not required to provide you with supporting evidence, or "prove" you are the party who applied for the account.

There are no judges under the dispute process to evaluate evidence or make a determination.

The inherrent problem with the dispute process is the reason why the identity theft process was added to the FCRA.

If willing to put your assertion of debt/account not authorized by me into a sworn police report, you can send the police/identity theft report to the CRA and obtain immediate block of their reporting from your credit report, and can additionally send the police reprot to the creditor, and obtain all business records in their possession related to the account.  That will permit you to then challenge the debt factually, such as by taking the issue to court.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.