Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax granted early exclusion after saying no

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax granted early exclusion after saying no

I called up Transunion and Equifax yesterday to remove an old collection account (due to drop in July)

No problem with Trans upon calling them, got an Indian CSR, I stated my request, and he said if i wanted to dispute to delete the item (dispute as too old), I went ahead and the item was removed not even half hour after the phone call. 

Called Equifax, got Indian CSR, stated my intention, he said hes not able to due to law, so I said cool no problem. I check my equifax report today, it has been removed! It's very possible that with Equifax, they dont want to say on record that they will exclude early and that it's a CSR's discretion whether or not to grant an early exclusion.

Cheers

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax granted early exclusion after saying no

It is clearly not "an issue of law."

FCRA 605(a) onlly requires that a CRA cannot (normally) include an adverse item of information in credit reports they issue after the maximum exclusion period that applies to that item.  It does not prevent a CRA from excluding early. 

The fact that an early exclusion is not a violation of law is clearly demonstrated by the current practice of the CRAs to routinely do their own early exclusions.  They rountinely exclude collections and charge-offs at approx 7 years from DOFD when the max prescribed exclusion periiod is not until 7 years plus 180 days. 

Thus, the CRAs clearly do not consider early exclusions to be a violation of law.

Obviously, they dont want to diverge too much from the periods set forth by congress, so they are unlikely to grant subjective deletions of, for example, a year.

Additionally, as requests for early exclusion grow in numbers, they might decide to discontinue all consumer requests for early eclusions as an administrative time and cost saving matter.

As an aside, there was no discussion of requesting early exclusions from the CRAs here on this site more than about a year or so ago.  Now, they proliferate the forum.

The CRAs are now being hit with a barrage of such requests, and could simply decide to put an end to all that extra time and cost.

Message 2 of 12
crrredit
Established Contributor

Shhhh. Don't say that outloud.

Message 3 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I called up Transunion and Equifax yesterday to remove an old collection account (due to drop in July)

No problem with Trans upon calling them, got an Indian CSR, I stated my request, and he said if i wanted to dispute to delete the item (dispute as too old), I went ahead and the item was removed not even half hour after the phone call. 

Called Equifax, got Indian CSR, stated my intention, he said hes not able to due to law, so I said cool no problem. I check my equifax report today, it has been removed! It's very possible that with Equifax, they dont want to say on record that they will exclude early and that it's a CSR's discretion whether or not to grant an early exclusion.

Cheers

Thats exactly right. they don't want to say. and this is why transunion will say dispute instead of early exclusion. but Congrats. how much of a bump did you get on your score?

Message 4 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

Awesome job! Congrats on getting the baddie removed.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats exactly right. they don't want to say. and this is why transunion will say dispute instead of early exclusion. but Congrats. how much of a bump did you get on your score?

I was able to get early exclusions a few months ago from all 3 CRAs for 2 baddies (they were my only baddies) and my score jumped 50-70 points depending on the CRA. Transunion's jumped the highest.

Message 6 of 12
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the early exclusion!

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 7 of 12
ddemari
Super Contributor

Congrats!! TU Is so easy to work with. They removed a midland collection / charge off from 2008 and fico went 63 points up. EQ And EX said no but now there is only 2 months left until it drops off those reports. Im hoping for a nice bump too! Lol
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you all have requested an EE (and gotten it), did you call in directly, mail in a request, or do it online?  If you called, what #s did you use?

Message 9 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers

TU refers to their internal process of review for Early Exclusion as a "dispute." This has lead to some confusion, as some members have attempted to file online disputes with other CRAs based on this information. However, the Early Exclusion is, essentially, a GW request of the CRAs.

Recommendations or advocation of disputing vaild information on your CRs is against our Forum guidelines on Credit Repair Discussion. We can only recommend that you call or write to the CRAs to request this.

Good job Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.