cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax is really getting on my nerves....why are they so darn DIFFICULT?

tag
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Equifax is really getting on my nerves....why are they so darn DIFFICULT?

I have an old Bank of America CC account opened back in 2007 and went into default Aug 2009. It got as bad as180 days but I was able to settle and pay the settlement amount in full. Anyway 7 years since going into default is coming up and I started looking for early exclusion from the CRA's. Thankfully, Transunion early excluded it several months ago and Experain today since they had it schedule to fall off May 2016.

Now Equifax is a pain and problem. The first couple of calls, I was told to call back because the times I called was too early. Today I called and was told the "current status" says PAYS AS AGREED and it will stay on my report for another 10 years because I disputed the acct back in Feb 2016. I did file several disputes because the Equifax reporting did not match the reporting from TU and EXP and I needed BOA to fix it but each time, it remained. 

I've tried calling BOA and don't get anything but a headache. The "current status" before it was deleted from EXP says Paid in settlement. This account is scheduled to continue on record until May 2016 and under "comment" it says account paid in full for less than full balance followed by another comment from the last dispute I filed. 

On TU prior to EE the "curent status" says current; paid or paying as agreed and under "remarks" it says "settled-less than full blnc; closed, estimated month and year this item will be removed: 7/2016

On the last EQ report I received, the "current status" says pays as agreed and under "comment" it says account paid for less than full balance but nothing about when the acct will be removed. Today EQ also told me that the last payments will start to fall off after 7 years but the account can't be deleted after 7 years because it says "pays as agreed". 

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to provide as much info possible. 

What am I doing wrong? Can I dispute this through another method since both TU and EXP has deleted and? Why are all 3 reported differently? What am I missing here? Your input is much appreciated, thanks in advance. 

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax is really getting on my nerves....why are they so darn DIFFICULT?

I don't have any help, but EQ is the WORST.. from personal experiences and from what others have written on here. I would expect they would give you the hardest time in doing anything that would make sense. Sorry you're having that issues. Please keep me updated if you have any success. 

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the account never hit chargeoff status then it will stay on for 10 years with late payments ageing off as they hit 7 years.
Message 3 of 18
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Thanks!

The account never did go into charge off status and wasn't reported as such.

Why would TU and EXP remove if it didn't?
TCL= $172,800
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the account was never charged-off, exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) only apply to the reported monthly delinquencies.

The CRA is correct.

They have no requirement to remove the account from your credit report.

They are only required to exclude the delinquencies at 7 years from their dates of occurence.

The fact that another CRA may have excluded the account from their credit reports does not establish any requirment for EQ to do the same.

If you wish the account deleted, then you should contact the creditor and requst that they report deletion to the CRA.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DoroLucky wrote:

I have an old Bank of America CC account opened back in 2007 and went into default Aug 2009. It got as bad as180 days but I was able to settle and pay the settlement amount in full. Anyway 7 years since going into default is coming up and I started looking for early exclusion from the CRA's. Thankfully, Transunion early excluded it several months ago and Experain today since they had it schedule to fall off May 2016.

Now Equifax is a pain and problem. The first couple of calls, I was told to call back because the times I called was too early. Today I called and was told the "current status" says PAYS AS AGREED and it will stay on my report for another 10 years because I disputed the acct back in Feb 2016. I did file several disputes because the Equifax reporting did not match the reporting from TU and EXP and I needed BOA to fix it but each time, it remained. 

I've tried calling BOA and don't get anything but a headache. The "current status" before it was deleted from EXP says Paid in settlement. This account is scheduled to continue on record until May 2016 and under "comment" it says account paid in full for less than full balance followed by another comment from the last dispute I filed. 

On TU prior to EE the "curent status" says current; paid or paying as agreed and under "remarks" it says "settled-less than full blnc; closed, estimated month and year this item will be removed: 7/2016

On the last EQ report I received, the "current status" says pays as agreed and under "comment" it says account paid for less than full balance but nothing about when the acct will be removed. Today EQ also told me that the last payments will start to fall off after 7 years but the account can't be deleted after 7 years because it says "pays as agreed". 

What am I doing wrong? Can I dispute this through another method since both TU and EXP has deleted and? Why are all 3 reported differently? What am I missing here? Your input is much appreciated, thanks in advance. 

I'm not the one with great legal advice (RobertEG is the legal beagle here and if he says it you can bank on it) but I might be able to offer some practical advice.

I had a similar situation where TU EE'd something early but EQ & EX drug their feet. Last month I called EQ again (I was calling the bureas every couple of weeks asking for the EE) and escalated the inquiry to a supervisors level and got it EE'd based on the estimated date of removal (found on my annualcreditreport.com reports) and the fact that TU had EE'd it a couple of months earlier.

Every case is different so YMMV but I always went through my schpeel with the frontline agent and then asked to speak with a supervisor, then asked to speak with his supervisor every time. I was always personable and calm but firm about my desire to have this item removed and finally last month EQ removed it (estimated removal date was 9/16).

If you haven't, you need to escalate the request up to the 3rd level every time you call. That is the initial CS agent and 2 supervisors levels. Tell them that both TU & EX have already removed the item and you would be very appreciative if they would just do the same.

You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time and if it's important to you then invest as much of that as it takes to get what you are seeking. It's you financial future you are fighting for and only you can (will?) fight harder than anyone else on your behalf.

Message 6 of 18
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

If the account was never charged-off, exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) only apply to the reported monthly delinquencies.

The CRA is correct.

They have no requirement to remove the account from your credit report.

They are only required to exclude the delinquencies at 7 years from their dates of occurence.

The fact that another CRA may have excluded the account from their credit reports does not establish any requirment for EQ to do the same.

If you wish the account deleted, then you should contact the creditor and requst that they report deletion to the CRA.

10 years from the date I last disputed?? How is this date determined? That means the account will stay there until 2025 instead of coming off in 2019 (10 years after it was initialy reported). 

Everything else you've said makes sense but not the fact that is has to sit for 10 more years instead of 3 because a dispute reset the clock. Thanks 

TCL= $172,800

Message 7 of 18
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DoroLucky wrote:

I'm not the one with great legal advice (RobertEG is the legal beagle here and if he says it you can bank on it) but I might be able to offer some practical advice.

I had a similar situation where TU EE'd something early but EQ & EX drug their feet. Last month I called EQ again (I was calling the bureas every couple of weeks asking for the EE) and escalated the inquiry to a supervisors level and got it EE'd based on the estimated date of removal (found on my annualcreditreport.com reports) and the fact that TU had EE'd it a couple of months earlier.

Every case is different so YMMV but I always went through my schpeel with the frontline agent and then asked to speak with a supervisor, then asked to speak with his supervisor every time. I was always personable and calm but firm about my desire to have this item removed and finally last month EQ removed it (estimated removal date was 9/16).

If you haven't, you need to escalate the request up to the 3rd level every time you call. That is the initial CS agent and 2 supervisors levels. Tell them that both TU & EX have already removed the item and you would be very appreciative if they would just do the same.

You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time and if it's important to you then invest as much of that as it takes to get what you are seeking. It's you financial future you are fighting for and only you can (will?) fight harder than anyone else on your behalf.

Thanks....I read 2 of your posts with them today. I will definitely become a pain and continue to call them until it's removed lol. Can you PLEASE PM the number to call. Not trying to be racist but I keep getting India and they sound like robots. I don't want to speak with scripted Indian robots! 

TCL= $172,800

Message 8 of 18
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

Equifax is bipolar. I recently disputed a Merrick bank account with all 3 CRA's citing the information wasn't reported correctly. It has since been DELETED from EQUIFAX but not the others smh.
TCL= $172,800

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DoroLucky wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DoroLucky wrote:

Thanks....I read 2 of your posts with them today. I will definitely become a pain and continue to call them until it's removed lol. Can you PLEASE PM the number to call. Not trying to be racist but I keep getting India and they sound like robots. I don't want to speak with scripted Indian robots! 

PM'd #'s though they're not secret and I think you are stuck with Indian agents no matter what. I know the feeling about robots, they seem to just regurgitate what's on a piece of paper. I hate that!!! But you can get up into the supervisors and they tend not to speak in that manner.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.