Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax is the bane of my existence

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax is the bane of my existence

I've made major strides on getting my credit back on track in the last year. There were numerous errors and old accounts that should have fallen off of my various reports and Transunion & Experian have been prompt & responsive about everything. Equifax...not so much. They consistently take weeks longer to process disputes, and half the time I have to dispute multiple times in order to get information corrected. They also take longer than everyone else to reflect accurate balances, and they still don't show an authorized user account that the other two have shown for months. I'm certain this is why my EQ FICO is 80pts lower than my Exp & TU scores. 

Well now they've really done it. A few weeks ago I asked for an account that should have aged off to be removed (TU & EX had removed it without a dispute). I check my Credit Karma this morning and notice my Equifax VS has dropped and is showing more negatives than usual. I look more closely and see that instead of the 1 late payment showing one week ago, I now have 81 late payments. WHAT?! I check to see what is causing this and see that not only have they not removed the old account, they are showing it as open and are now showing a late payment for every month since 2008. 

I have to hand it to them, when they screw up they go for broke.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Equifax is the bane of my existence

This kinda happened to me a few weeks ago. I asked for EE and it showed as a dispute for the requested item, which was a chargeoff, and it changed my utilization and AAoA for about a week before they went ahead and removed the item.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This kinda happened to me a few weeks ago. I asked for EE and it showed as a dispute for the requested item, which was a chargeoff, and it changed my utilization and AAoA for about a week before they went ahead and removed the item.

I hope that holds true, but my experience with EQ at this point has not been positive so I won't hold my breath.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eq is the bane of just about every rebuilder's existence. I am firmly in the equifax-is-a-loathsome-entity camp. But from what I have read, once you finish actually rebuilding your credit profile, and begin maintaining and growing the improved profile, eq becomes much better to deal with. I'm not quite there yet, so I don't know this firsthand though.
Message 4 of 9
AKO17
Regular Contributor

Same boat! Waiting for them to process a dispute. They refused EEs that EX and TU happily took care of. Annoying. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here! One old CO that TU and EX took right away, EQ holds on to. I suppose they'll delete it not one second earlier than they have to.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This company just gets better and better. I placed a freeze on my EQ file online through their automated system. Received a pin within a week. Awesome. I needed to temporarily lift the freeze so I go to their website. They locate my file, and I select the dates and submit. I then get a message that my request cannot be completed and I should write their PO Box to get more info. Say what now? I then call the automated phone system. Same result. I call and the rep says he can't see anything wrong but he can lift the freeze. Ok great! Then he explains it will take 5-7 business days to take effect. Uhhh what? I ask if they have a tech support line that can troubleshoot me through doing it on the website since that is instantaneous. No sir, we don't have a tech support department. Really? So your website is self-aware and just runs itself?

I see I'm getting nowhere, so I call back on a different number. Same thing. I wait a day and then call again. Same response. I ask how it's possible that unfreezing it over the phone and the website goes into effect immediately yet talking to an actual human being in front of a computer takes 5-7 business days? So sorry sir, it's policy, blah blah blah. Can I be transferred to a dept that can do it over the phone? No such dept sir, blah blah blah. Finally, I insist on speaking to a supervisor. My supervisor can't do anything different than I can. SUPERVISOR PLEEEEAAASEEEE. I'm placed on hold for 15 minutes (I assume they were hoping I'd hang up). Get a supervisor, explain my frustrations, she says oh ok I'll lift the freeze immediately. I thanked her but calmly explained that it's incredibly frustrating for a consumer to be told 3 times that it isn't possible but then when they've complained loudly enough it suddenly becomes possible. She agreed and said sorry and at that point I was just too exhausted to say anything else.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's another one - I disputed an old closed account that had an incorrect # of lates as having inaccurate payment history. They came back with the old 'Dispute resovled - info verified' and I figured that's that for now. Well, in the progress of their 'investigation' they managed to wipe the entire history of payments on the account. So they kind of did what I asked, in their own special Equifax way.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

" No sir, we don't have a tech support department. Really? So your website is self-aware and just runs itself?"  LOL!

Equifax = Skynet  Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.