New Contributor
orl22

Equifax online dispute sucess!!!

I opened an account with Equifax in February with a score of 697. It went up to 706 in March and I check on my report just about everyday. I have a couple of derogs such as lates on my HELOC back in 2006 (I GW 2 weeks ago - still no response) and 1 for BOA in May of last year. 1 charge off and there's one collection from LVNV funding which I don't quite know what it was. I wasn't sure if it was a remnant of a collection I had way back in 2000 or what. The last report date was in 2008. I vaguely remember talking to a supervisor of a collection agency at about that time but I told her she was already years past SOL after she was trying to sweat talk me into paying. Of course she made her threats but I didn't really care. Still I wasn't sure if this LVNV listing was this collection or not. On April 15th, I decided to dispute it using their online method. I typed 3 sentences saying I wasn't sure what this was and wasn't sure if it was mine or not. And to please review.

I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Hoping that they won't be able to find anything since it's so old. During the dispute, they removed it from my record. That gave me a 14 increase. After my 706 score in March, it had dropped to 700. I had opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and the inquiry dropped my score by 6 points. So today, I get an email from Equifax on the status of the investigation. At first I didn't know what to make of it. But kept reading it to discover that they had decided to delete LVNV from my record. So the 14 points will stay. I didn't even think I would get this result at all. I was very surprised.

At least the online dispute does do some good in my case.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+