Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax online dispute sucess!!!

tag
orl22
New Contributor

Equifax online dispute sucess!!!

I opened an account with Equifax in February with a score of 697. It went up to 706 in March and I check on my report just about everyday. I have a couple of derogs such as lates on my HELOC back in 2006 (I GW 2 weeks ago - still no response) and 1 for BOA in May of last year. 1 charge off and there's one collection from LVNV funding which I don't quite know what it was. I wasn't sure if it was a remnant of a collection I had way back in 2000 or what. The last report date was in 2008. I vaguely remember talking to a supervisor of a collection agency at about that time but I told her she was already years past SOL after she was trying to sweat talk me into paying. Of course she made her threats but I didn't really care. Still I wasn't sure if this LVNV listing was this collection or not. On April 15th, I decided to dispute it using their online method. I typed 3 sentences saying I wasn't sure what this was and wasn't sure if it was mine or not. And to please review.

I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Hoping that they won't be able to find anything since it's so old. During the dispute, they removed it from my record. That gave me a 14 increase. After my 706 score in March, it had dropped to 700. I had opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and the inquiry dropped my score by 6 points. So today, I get an email from Equifax on the status of the investigation. At first I didn't know what to make of it. But kept reading it to discover that they had decided to delete LVNV from my record. So the 14 points will stay. I didn't even think I would get this result at all. I was very surprised.

At least the online dispute does do some good in my case.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.