Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax "Date Reported"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax "Date Reported"

I have an old closed account that is was do to fall off my Equifax Credit Report a couple months ago. It's been closed 10 years. When it was not removed, I sent a letter requesting for it to be removed due to it being over 10 years since since the "Date Closed"  and also the "Date of Last Activity". I got a response a month later stating that it was a valid account.

I was not disputing the validity of the account rather, just requesting it to be removed. This apparently updated the "Date Reported" to the current date they verified the account. The "Date Closed" and "Date of Last Activity" remained the same of over 10 years ago.

I called Equifax to state I was not disputing the account, I was wanting it removed. The CR stated that the account will be removed 10 years from the "Date Reported" so not for another 10 years. Which would keep this closed account on my report for 20 years!! I argued for a bit that it should be removed 10 yrs from the DOLA but they were not budging.

Yes I know that it is not negative and not bringing down my score. However, I do want it removed. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Equifax "Date Reported"

The deletion of accounts at approx 10 years from date of closure is purely an administrative procedure of the CRAs, and there are no controlling regulations.

Thus, there is no basis for any formal dispute or complaint.

The informal policy is ten years from date of account closure.

I would suggest simply making repeated calls until you find a CRA rep who is willing to delete.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an old closed account that is was do to fall off my Equifax Credit Report a couple months ago. It's been closed 10 years. When it was not removed, I sent a letter requesting for it to be removed due to it being over 10 years since since the "Date Closed"  and also the "Date of Last Activity". I got a response a month later stating that it was a valid account.

I was not disputing the validity of the account rather, just requesting it to be removed. This apparently updated the "Date Reported" to the current date they verified the account. The "Date Closed" and "Date of Last Activity" remained the same of over 10 years ago.

I called Equifax to state I was not disputing the account, I was wanting it removed. The CR stated that the account will be removed 10 years from the "Date Reported" so not for another 10 years. Which would keep this closed account on my report for 20 years!! I argued for a bit that it should be removed 10 yrs from the DOLA but they were not budging.

Yes I know that it is not negative and not bringing down my score. However, I do want it removed. Any suggestions?

Such accounts add to your AAoA and increase your scores.... Removal may bring your scores down.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The deletion of accounts at approx 10 years from date of closure is purely an administrative procedure of the CRAs, and there are no controlling regulations.

Thus, there is no basis for any formal dispute or complaint.

The informal policy is ten years from date of account closure.

I would suggest simply making repeated calls until you find a CRA rep who is willing to delete.

Thanks. I will take that into consideration. Is there a way or, office to contant for Equifax in writing for this request that does not go to the dispute center?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Such accounts add to your AAoA and increase your scores.... Removal may bring your scores down.

I'm well aware. Thanks. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.