Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equifax won't let me view my dispute results

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax won't let me view my dispute results

I initiated a dispute online 10/13. It finally updated today as completed on 11/10 (though when I checked Friday it was still marked as pending).

When I click on the results link, I get a window that basically says Sorry, we're unable to show you this. If I recall correctly I chose to receive electronic communication for the dispute.

Isn't this illegal? What action can I take? I disputed the same info with TU and was able to view my full report after the dispute was resolved, EQ is terrible.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Equifax won't let me view my dispute results

@Anonymous wrote:

I initiated a dispute online 10/13. It finally updated today as completed on 11/10 (though when I checked Friday it was still marked as pending).

When I click on the results link, I get a window that basically says Sorry, we're unable to show you this. If I recall correctly I chose to receive electronic communication for the dispute.

Isn't this illegal? What action can I take? I disputed the same info with TU and was able to view my full report after the dispute was resolved, EQ is terrible.

Sounds more like a computer hiccup. I would call them and ask for the results over the phone.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm ok, thanks. The way it was worded sounded like they were keeping something from me, but I will call!

Message 3 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm ok, thanks. The way it was worded sounded like they were keeping something from me, but I will call!

If you file a dispute, they can't keep the results from you, just like you thought. Let us know what they say on the phone.

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Their statutory requirement is to complete their reinvestigation within 30 days of filing of the dispute, and "send" the Notice of Results within 5 business days thereafter.

The Notice of REsults must be mailed unless you have consented to alternate form of transmission, such as electronic.

If it has been more than 37 days from filing of your dispute then the notice should have been mailed or posted (30 days plus 5 days plus possible 2 days for intervening weekend).  Tech problems happen, so holding their feet to the intentional violation fire might be a bit extrreme, but yes, it is a statutory requirement.

Give them a call.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are causing me to lose it.

Still unable to view results online, nothing in the mail, and when I call and go through their awful menu labriynth I can find no way to actually get a human on the phone. I just get the automated response that the dispute was completed, with no info or other options except for opening a new one, or hanging up. When I press 0 or say Representative is says too many errors and hangs up on me.

Rage!

Any other tips? This thing was filed 10/13 so I'm pretty sure they are well past the reasonable length of time.

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Send a complaint to the CFPB for their clear violation of FCRA 611(a)(6)(A), which states as follows:

"FCRA 611(a)(6)(A)  Notice of Results of Reinvestigation

A consumer reporting agency shall provide written notice to a consumer of the results of a reinvestigation under this subsection not later than 5 business days after completion of the reinvestigation, by mail or, if authorized by the consumer for that purpose, by means available to the agency."

As a future way to avoid the pitfalls of unecessary CRA involvement in the dispute process, you may wish to use the direct dispute process rather than filing via a CRA.

The direct dispute process is avaialble unless the dispute relates for personal information, public records information, or credit report inquiries.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will try this!

The reason I did not do a direct dispute in this case is because the information I was reporting was due to the sale of a credit card, from a store to Comenity last year, and both the original store and Comenity had made errors in reporting. For starters the account is listed on my credit report 3 times. It's a Barneys card. So it's on there as Barneys, Barneys, and Comenity/Barneys. When Comenity bought the card and started reporting as Comenity/Barneys, they put an opening date of 2013. The card was opened 2006. So I have 3 accounts instead of one, one which is dragging down my AAoA inaccurately and the other two being listed as inactive, but open accounts. The account is currently open and current under Comenity and has only ever been one account. (Not to mention there was a baddie on there I didn't recall actually doing, so that was disputed as well.)

Whew, that turned into a bit of a rant, but it's made such a mess of my EQ report and I just want it cleaned up.

Transunion corrected all of this so I was hopeful Equifax would do the same. The information was already correct (also no baddie) on Experian so no dispute needed there. But it just seemed like with the gigantic mess of the card sale parties that the CRA was the best alley. Maybe I was wrong given the was EQ has handled it.

Judging by the alerts EQ I've received from myFICO, I'm not convinced that EQ has corrected it the way that TU did, and am more than a little sketched out that they are making it impossible for me to see the results. With the report to the CFPB, do they notify EQ on my behalf to send the report?

Message 8 of 9
SEngland1985

OP, I had the same issue.  I disputed some items on Equifax, when I tried to view it, a window popped up and said I could not view it.  It said to wait 30 days and I should be able to view it. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.