Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equinfax score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equinfax score

Just checked my score it was 497 I almost fell out 3 active collections and 3 paid collections 21 accounts and a average account age of 2 years and 9 monthS with 16 inq in the past 2 years. 78% uti on revolving and 113 on installment (student loans). I would like to purchase a house within a year what steps can I take to get " credit healthy"? 7 inq will fall off in July and 2 more in nov Co will drop dec of 2016.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
eparker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Equinfax score

Well, not sure if it can be done in a year.  I'm not an expert but I will give you my opinion.  I was in your situation, and I put myself on a 5 year plan.  I am two years into my plan.  First and foremost if you are not current on your obligations, get current on your bills.  You need to get your credit card utilization to 9% or lower.  I would try and get some of those inquiries off or let them fall off. 

You need to attempt PFD's on the active collections still reporting.  On the paid collections you need to attempt GW letters since you have already paid them.  The collection agency is not obligated to remove them.  But a GW letter is an option. 

I'm not saying it can't be done but give it a try.  I believe FHA requires a minimum 620 and 12 months of being current on obligations.

Good Luck

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Just checked my score it was 497 I almost fell out 3 active collections and 3 paid collections 21 accounts and a average account age of 2 years and 9 monthS with 16 inq in the past 2 years. 78% uti on revolving and 113 on installment (student loans). I would like to purchase a house within a year what steps can I take to get " credit healthy"? 7 inq will fall off in July and 2 more in nov Co will drop dec of 2016.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

I bet it can be done.

To add to the above, make sure that 497 is a FICO score. I suspect it isn't if you got it from Equifax.com. They sell a competing, non-FICO called an "Equifax Credit Score." I mention that because your FICO report doesn't list AAoA in months. FICO rounds down to the nearest whole number in factoring in your AAoA.

Pay off all of your CCs. Use them every 3-4 months just to keep them active, but pay in full. When ready to app for that mortgage, let one report a very small balance. This alone might net you 60-80+ points assuming utilization is listed as a negative reason within your FICO report (you'd need to get it from here to see that).

FICO ignores ALL inquiries beyond 12 months old, even though they report for 2 years.

Send GWs to the paid CAs. If SOL expired and/or you have the $$$ to PIF, send a DV letter to each of the unpaid CAs. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

If the COs are paid, send them GW letters too.

Ditto to the 620 requirement. Your lender will look at all 3 reports, so you might want to pull the other two too. You can get all 3 for free once per year via annualcreditreport.com.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your util down, see what your new score is, and go from there.  Over the course of 3 months I got mine down from 23% to 8% and my score jumped 23 points from 715 to 738.  In that time I picked up two (possibly 3) new inquiries.  I've read that the lower your scores are, the more they are likely to go up when you improve something on your credit report.

Message 4 of 6
dbailey1010

We are in your boat.  I am working on my husbands credit now and we are starting with the DV letter and then the PFD letter.  Hoping they work by the end of January.  There are two accounts we are attempting right now.  Only because we have a little chuck of change coming within the next month.

Good luck to you and your family!

Danielle

Message 5 of 6
brentlamb6708
Valued Member

Company Account number Date opened Balance Status Negative Indicator? [?]  
Charge AccountCredit First 11/2008$707Paid or paying as agreedNo 
Charge AccountThe Limited 8/2011$54Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
Charge AccountZale/Cbna 6/2009$0Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
Credit CardChase Bank Usa Na 4/2007$849Charged off as bad debtThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Credit CardChase Bank Usa Na 4/2007$807Charged off as bad debtNoDetails
Credit CardBank Of America 4/2007$796Charged off as bad debtThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Credit CardCapital One Bank Usa Na 2/2011$287Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
Credit CardCapital One Bank Usa N 6/2008$0Charged off as bad debtThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Credit CardFst Financial Bk Sd 4/2007$0Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Credit CardFst Financial Bk Sd 4/2007$0Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
OtherPioneer Creditcompa 5/2011$1,230Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
OtherWorld Finance Corporatio 9/2011$810Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
OtherPioneer Creditcompany 9/2010$0Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
OtherWorld Finance Corpora 9/2010$0Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails
PhoneVerizon Wireless  9/2008$1,609Collection accountThis account has late payments in the pastDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie Mae 12/2008$30,081Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the past3 30 lateDetails
Student/Education LoanDept Of Ed/Sallie Mae 4/2008$3,844Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the past120 lateDetails
Student/Education LoanDept Of Ed/Sallie Mae 8/2008$3,803Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the past120 lateDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie Mae 12/2008$3,554Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the past1 30 lateDetails
Student/Education LoanSallie Mae 6/2008$2,323Paid or paying as agreedThis account has late payments in the past1 30 lateDetails
Student/Education LoanWllmsbr B & T 4/2008$0Paid or paying as agreedNoDetails

Hopefully this will help yall give me some directions. my current plan is to snowball these accounts.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 2/04/2012 611
Goal Score: 10/01/2012 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.