cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estimated Fico jump after some payoffs?!?!?!?!

tag
wallywonka
Established Member

Estimated Fico jump after some payoffs?!?!?!?!

Fico Team, 

I am currently at a 515 across the board ( sad face ) and while this is sad, the good news is that I am about to 

come into a nice lump sum of money in the next 2-3 weeks. 

I have 2 credit cards and am auth user on my wifes CC. So three cards total. All maxed out and WILL BE PAID OFF with lump sum.

I also have 4 collection account on my credit for a total of about 500 dollars. Will be paid off same day as paying off CCs.

Outside of that all my accounts are currentand show good standing. Never been late on my CCs that are open. 

Assuming a 30 day period to see everything reflect.. what do you think I willl jump to?

is 680 and above possible?  My credit score estimator says over 700 once I do all that I outlined. 

Dont want to get my hopes up. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sumthin28
Valued Member

Re: Estimated Fico jump after some payoffs?!?!?!?!

not to be a Debbie downer, but paying off collection accounts has zero affect on your score. You will get a nice bump from utilization going way down, but nowhere near 200 points.

Starting Score 520
Current Score 649 Ex 658 Eq 665 Tu
Goal 700
AmEx everyday 1000 Boa travel rewards !000 Barclays 1300 Chase Freedom 3500 DiscoverIT 1400 Cap 1 Quicksilverone 300 Wallmart 600 Lowes 300 Paypal 500
Message 2 of 4
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@sumthin28 wrote:

not to be a Debbie downer, but paying off collection accounts has zero affect on your score. You will get a nice bump from utilization going way down, but nowhere near 200 points.

I disagree. Open collections will kill your score. Once the OP pays off those baddies and hopefully gets them deleted (PFD or GW), along with getting their UTI way low, the score will jump significantly. 200 points is a little high, but I do not doubt they will be in the 640s or so. 

When I paid off my collections and got the deleted, my score jumped 

Message 3 of 4
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Get the credit cards paid down. Honestly, I would leave a $10 balance on one.

For the CA's, pay them and start the GW process to get the deleted. When the first CA posted to your account, you took the greatest hit, score wise. Couple that with the high utilization that is reporting, you score has taken  several hits.

As each, subsequent CA is posted to your CR, you take a hit but the hit is not has bad as the first; ie, each CA that posts hurts less and less. Get them deleted and when the last one is deleted, you stand to gain the most points.

But the comments about paying them are correct. Paying the CA alone will not make you score go up. It has to get deleted.

Take me for instance,

As each CA was removed from my CR, I saw 5-8 points each time. When the last one came off, I saw a 29 or 39 point bump, I can't remember.

Good Luck.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.