Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever look at your report and wonder, "Why did I do that?"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ever look at your report and wonder, "Why did I do that?"

I'm still shaking my head, wondering why on earth I closed all my cards 3 years ago. I think it was to avoid the tempatation of getting into insurmountable debt when I went through a really rough patch but...ugh.

My Amex would have been 10 years old this year and my Discover 8. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ever look at your report and wonder, "Why did I do that?"

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still shaking my head, wondering why on earth I closed all my cards 3 years ago. I think it was to avoid the tempatation of getting into insurmountable debt when I went through a really rough patch but...ugh.

The are that old if they are still reporting on your CR. Good positives stick around for up to 10 yrs post close date.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't beat yourself up about the past.  Just know that now you have the self-control to have credit cards and not max them out.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know what you mean, my Sears card would be 21 years now, opened in 94 and closed in 2004. But for some reason shows payments through october 2007 on my EX report. All revolving accounts I have now are 18 months or less.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't beat yourself up about the past.  Just know that now you have the self-control to have credit cards and not max them out.

This is probably the hardest part of the process. Every time I look at my report I remember "that time". So many on here can empathize, I'm sure, but sometimes credit repair almost seems like a form of closure from a really difficult period of life. 

Message 5 of 6
stellar
Established Contributor

Every day, week, month your credit report/scores are getting better.  This is because of your newfound knowledge, hard work and discipline.  Focus on that and your growth as a credit responsible person, rather than on the negative side.  If you learn from your mistakes then your mistakes have helped you.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.