Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex-wife got an apartment in my name with old POA, then broke the lease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ex-wife got an apartment in my name with old POA, then broke the lease

I called the company collecting on this debt, Professional Debt Mediation, Inc. Besides being completely rude to me, they told me that the money they collected from me was going to go to the management company that owned the apartment complex. I asked them for the number to the mgmt company so that I could verify the debt, and they refused, saying that they could only give that information to my attorney. So I asked them to send me proof of this debt, and they sent a copy of the lease, with my ex-wife's signature, and my signature in her handwriting, and her initials all over it, and with the letters POA next to each signature and initial. I asked them for a copy of the POA, since the one that she had was invalid, since I had sent her a revocation of POA when we separated, but they said that they didn't have a copy, and that the lease with the letters POA was proof enough that this debt is mine. Is this true? That even though they can't show me the POA, the POA is validated? The amount due is only $322, but its the simple fact that this is in no way MY debt at all, so even if it was $1, I wouldn't pay. If I can't fix it, then I'm just going to leave it alone, and let it fall of my credit report.

*Also, I am active duty military, and was stationed overseas at the time the apartment was leased, lived in, and when the lease was broken, yet they refuse to budge.

Message Edited by mrscadena on 01-19-2009 10:18 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ex-wife got an apartment in my name with old POA, then broke the lease

I would send a DV, CMRRR first.

Was the POA filed in courts or anywhere? If so, did you file the revocation of POA in the same courts?

You need to check your state statute and find out the proper process to revoke a POA and make sure you done it correctly.

If everything was done right, I would file a complaint with the BBB, your AG, the apartment complex's AG, and the CA's AG.

If you get no where there, I would seek a free consult with an attorney.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ex-wife got an apartment in my name with old POA, then broke the lease

@Anonymous wrote:

*Also, I am active duty military, and was stationed overseas at the time the apartment was leased, lived in, and when the lease was broken, yet they refuse to budge.

Message Edited by mrscadena on 01-19-2009 10:18 AM

If you're still AD/military, get thee to your base's JAG office and get your "free" atty -- you've MORE than earned it!!

Pssst: From what I've personally experienced, the JAG office will get you oodles further than the average run-o'the-mill atty you find in the civvie sector. For whatever reason, JAG atty's seem to be a bit more threatening and quite a bit more diligent.

As they say, "The military takes care of it's own." Let them take care of YOU.

I'd also consider, if your Ex used your PoA after you'd revoked it, spank her legally. I can't remember for sure, but I'm fair sure it'd be ID theft at the least.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.