Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expecting a Baby... Need Repair Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expecting a Baby... Need Repair Advice

Hey everyone! Long time lurker first time poster. My wife and I just found out that she is pregnant and would like to get a house within the next year. Like most, when I was younger, I made some bad choices with credit and really had no idea how important it would be the older I got. This is where myFICO's wonderful community comes in!!

Below is the "Potentially Negative Items" from my exp CR. The other 3 match it to a tee. My fico score is right around 552 as of 7.11.10. I have since been approved for a Capital One card with a $500 limit, which they will increase to $750 if 3 months of payments are made on time. I have also just been approved for an Orchard Bank HSBC credit card with a $200 limit. Neither of these are showing on my CR as of yet. I opened these to hopefully increase my open TL.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle the below items to best increase my score? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have written GW letters to Capital One and JCPenney, but have not yet sent them off.

Capital One (Older Account)

Closed.  

Date Opened:
09/2007

Date of Status:
12/2009

Reported Since:
09/2007

Last Reported Date:
12/2009

Type:
Revolving

Terms:
N/A 

Credit Limit:
$300

High Balance:
$414 

Recent Balance:
$0

Recent Payment:
$299

Account History:
30 days past due as of Feb 2008, Nov 2007   Balance History: 
Limit High Balance History:
Between Jul 2008 and Nov 2009, your credit limit/high balance was $300  
Your Statement:
Account closed at consumer's request.

Chase (Had Providian CC bought by WaMu bought by Chase)

Transferred,closed. $220 written off.  

Date Opened:
04/2003

Date of Status:
08/2008

Reported Since:
05/2003

Last Reported Date:
08/2008

Type:
Revolving

Terms:
N/A 

Monthly Payment:
$0

Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$500

High Balance:
$697 

Recent Balance:
N/A

Recent Payment:
N/A

Creditor's Statement:
Purchased by another lender.  
Account History:
Charge Off as of Jul 2008, Jun 2008
150 days past due as of May 2008
120 days past due as of Apr 2008
90 days past due as of Mar 2008
60 days past due as of Feb 2008
30 days past due as of Jan 2008, Apr 2004  
Your Statement:

JCPenney

Paid,Closed.  

Date Opened:
05/2006

Date of Status:
03/2008

Reported Since:
05/2006

Last Reported Date:
03/2008

Type:
Revolving

Terms:
N/A 

Monthly Payment:
$0

Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$300

High Balance:
$357 

Recent Balance:
N/A

Recent Payment:
N/A

Account History:
90 days past due as of Oct 2007
60 days past due as of Sep 2007
30 days past due as of Aug 2007  
Your Statement:

RFCU (Open Loan)

Open.  

Date Opened:
10/2007

Date of Status:
05/2010

Reported Since:
10/2007

Last Reported Date:
05/2010

Type:
Installment

Terms:
60 Months 

Monthly Payment:
$185

Responsibility:
Joint withXXXXXXXXXX

Credit Limit:
$7,592

High Balance:
N/A 

Recent Balance:
$4,987

Recent Payment:
$390

Account History:
30 days past due as of Apr 2010, Mar 2010, Aug 2009 to Oct 2009, Oct 2008 to May 2009, Jan 2008   Balance History:  
The original amount of this account was $7,592  
Your Statement:
N/A

US BANK (Auto Loan)

Open.  

Date Opened:
12/2006

Date of Status:
05/2010

Reported Since:
12/2006

Last Reported Date:
06/2010

Type:
Installment

Terms:
60 Months 

Monthly Payment:
$339

Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$16,900

High Balance:
N/A 

Recent Balance:
$7,239

Recent Payment:
$350

Account History:
60 days past due as of Sep 2009, Aug 2009, May 2009, Feb 2008, Nov 2007
30 days past due as of Apr 2010, Mar 2010, Nov 2009, Oct 2009, Jul 2009, Jun 2009, Apr 2009, Feb 2009, Dec 2008, Oct 2008, Jun 2008, Jan 2008, Dec 2007, Oct 2007   Balance History:
The original amount of this account was $16,900  
Your Statement:
N/A

US Bank

Account charged off. $405 written off.
Status Details:
This account is scheduled to continue on record until Oct 2015.
This item was verified and updated on Jun 2009.  

Date Opened:
07/2007

Date of Status:
05/2009

Reported Since:
08/2007

Last Reported Date:
07/2010

Type:
Installment

Terms:
18 Months 

Monthly Payment:
$0

Responsibility:
Individual 

Credit Limit:
$3,075

High Balance:
N/A 

Recent Balance:
$451

Recent Payment:
$0

Account History:
Charge Off as of Apr 2009 to Jul 2010
90 days past due as of Mar 2009
60 days past due as of Feb 2009
30 days past due as of Jan 2009, Oct 2007   Balance History:
The original amount of this account was $3,075  
Your Statement:
N/A

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Expecting a Baby... Need Repair Advice

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

and What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

The first thing you want to do is to solidify your personal finances and vow to never ever be a minute late again. A new 30 day late is a score killer and you have some this year. If you can't get them removed, it'll be super tough to get a mortgage. Many lenders won't lend if you have a late within the past couple of years. It may be a FHA guideline, but I'm not too sure on that. Do whatever it takes to draw a line in the sand today and never ever be late again. I was in the same boat too 3 yrs ago. For me it wasn't money. It was disorganization. My opinion was that the creditor would eventually get their money anyway, why worry if I'm late. I used to take bills and toss them in a box and never get around to paying them. If they called, I tossed the bill in the trash. Today, I use a spreadsheet to track balances, CLs, utilization, APRs, and especially due dates. I check this weekly and always pay two to three biz days prior to the due date via online. Last month, I slipped and paid a CC 20 minutes late and they socked me with a $39 late fee. That was my fault so now I started paying the minimum on the day I get the statement and schedule another draft at the end of the statement period to get the right balance to report. Seems excessive when looked at from the outside, but a fresh 30 day, with a clean report, can drop your FICO scores 50+ points and can certainly put you out of contention for a mortgage.

If a new mortgage is a goal, then you should really hit your two FICO scores (TU + EQ) at 650. Make sure the 552 score you have is a FICO score. Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your EQ FICO from Equifax.com or from your lender. Other than myFICO.com, you can also get your TU FICO from transunioncs.com (note the -cs) and from your lender. Finally, as of last year, Experian no longer allows consumers to pull their own EX FICO score, but you can get it from your lender or on your checking statement if you happen to have a checking account with a CU in PA called PSECU. Any other score from any other source are not FICO scores, but a knock-off we call FAKOs. These include any site claiming to sell Experian scores, like freecreditreport.com, Quizzle, and many many others. Ignore those scores.

The CapOne program is called Credit Steps. Don't be late or go over the limit. That'll certainly cancel all future CLIs and you'll be stuck at $500 forever. Orchard is good too. Your mix of credit is good at this point. Adding any more could hurt your scores. You can easily hit an 800 FICO score with what you have; you'll have to focus on repair (and time) to do it, though.

Old CapOne - that 30 day isn't impacting you much, if at all. A GW is fine, but I'd also focus on the others.

Chase - If unpaid by you, then all you can do is to send GWs. There should be a CA floating around out there if you never paid the CA. Prior to applying for a mortgage, you should opt out with all 3 CRAs. CAs like to appear when you apply for big ticket items like a mortgage. They know and your future lender knows you'd have to pay it. It would be worth it to call Chase to see if they own it. If that's the case, then a PFD would be the solution.

JCP - The 60 and 90 days are hurting. GW is the way to go.

CU Loan - Those lates are really dragging your score. Make sure you are 100% on time in the future. GW is the only option.

US Bank Car - keep paying on time. The lates are killing your FICO scores. GW them.

US Bank loan - looks like they still own it since they updated this month. They'll update with a 90+ day monthly up to the point you pay it or they sell it. Send a PFD.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.