Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian CA Dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian CA Dispute

Experian received my mailed dispute on 1/2/18.  Today I received an email at 11am that they had received and opened reinvestigation.  By 2pm, they had deleted the 2 accounts that I had disputed.  How is that possible?  There is no way that they verified anything with the original creditors, is ther?

Good for a 14 point increase on Experian.  Hoping that when I get home tomorrow that there will be letters in the mailbox from Equifax and Transunion with the same results.  That would be awesome!

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Experian CA Dispute

Is this just standard practice for Experian?  Did they just pull it off pending investigation? once they finish the investigation they'll just throw it back onto my report?  Or is it gone for good?

Thanks!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They actually train people better under the new rules. And many times they just delete when one disputes if there is any validity to your claim. Everything doesn’t always need lots of proof. The last few years while not perfect have seen improvement in the dispute process.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

They actually train people better under the new rules. And many times they just delete when one disputes if there is any validity to your claim. Everything doesn’t always need lots of proof. The last few years while not perfect have seen improvement in the dispute process.

So, does that mean they are off ford good? or will the repost them?  Any way to tell?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Deletion may have been reported by the debt collector rather than by the CRA.

The CRA is required, as part of their reinvestigation, to refer a copy of your dispute to the furnisher for their investigation and response back to the CRA.

A furnisher can, upon receipt of a dispute, choose to report deletion to the CRA.

That terminates any pending dispute as moot since the information is no longer in your credit file

I would suspect that the deletion was reported by the debt collector, and was not as a result of a finding by the CRA in their reinvestigation.

You will likely not receive a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA on a moot dispute.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Deletion may have been reported by the debt collector rather than by the CRA.

The CRA is required, as part of their reinvestigation, to refer a copy of your dispute to the furnisher for their investigation and response back to the CRA.

A furnisher can, upon receipt of a dispute, choose to report deletion to the CRA.

That terminates any pending dispute as moot since the information is no longer in your credit file

I would suspect that the deletion was reported by the debt collector, and was not as a result of a finding by the CRA in their reinvestigation.

You will likely not receive a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation from the CRA on a moot dispute.

Just curious.

Can I call the CRA and ask for results, or ask why this was removed from my CR?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes.

If an informal request does not bear fruit, you can rely upon one of several legal steps.

First, if they did conclude the dispute and did the deletion themselves based on a finding of lack of verification, the CRA was required under the FCRA to send you a formal Notice of Results of Reinvestigation along with a revised credit report showing that they did the deletion.  That Notice of Results of REinvestigation must be sent no later than 5 business days after the conclusion of their reinvestigation period.

Thus, your primary indication will be whether you receive a formal Notice of Results of REinvestigation stating that the CRA did the deletion.

Second, you can formally request a disclosure of the procedure used in their dispute resolution to determine the accuracy and completeness of the disputed information.  That so-called "method of verification" requirement will provide at least the name of the party they referred the dispute to as well as whether they responded.  See FCRA 611(a)(7).

Third, you can send a request for disclosure of any item of information in your credit file under the process set forth in FCRA 609(a)(1), as well as the source of the information as set forth under FCRA 609(a)(2).  The item of information you request would be the response provided to the CRA by the furnisher in response to your dispute.

Section 609(a) requests must include a CRA processing fee, which is currently $11.00, and proof of your identity.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.