Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Collection

Hi Guys -

This may be a stupid question, but I've learned so much thru these forums that I thought I'd throw it out there.  I pulled all 3 credit bureau scores today, and realized that I had overlooked an old collection from a utility provder (paid off in 2013) that showed up only on my EX report.  The name of the collection agency and the date are on the report, but the balance and the collection debt fields both are zero.  I attempted to begin the online process with EX to get this removed, but since the amount is zero, my request was not processed.  My EX score is 735, so I'm hoping that it isn't negatively impacting my score.  Is there a way to get this removed, or just the fact that the $$ field is zero enough?  My thoughts were to apply for an AMEX card, and I know that they pull EX.  Any thoughts would be appreciated - Thx

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Experian Collection

If you paid the debt under collection, then the debt collector was required to update the balance to $0.

They are instructed by the CRAs not to delete the collection based on payment of the debt.

Paying the debt is not basis for disputing the continued showing of the collection, which can remain for up to 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

A dispute must provide a clear statement of an inaccuracy in reported information.

If your prior dispute did not clearly identify a specific inaccuracy, it can be dismissed without investigation.  That is apparently the case.

You can attempt to get the collection removed earlier by sending a good-will request to the debt collector.

Filing disputes when their reporting is accurate is not likely to promote grant of good-will.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice on this - I think I'll leave it alone and let it fall off on its own. I had a dumb moment and had forgotten about the 7 year rule.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you assist me with advice on a situation i desprately need help. 

please Pm Me 

thanks , 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.