Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian Drops 14 points & Experian CANNOT say why

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian Drops 14 points & Experian CANNOT say why

So a week ago my Experian FICO was 684.  I get an alert from them today that my Credit One M/C has been paid down to 7% utilization and congratulations to me......

that was 3/16/15

right below that alert is.....and your credit score has dropped 14 POINTS to 670

WTH??????

I call experian to find out why and they CANNOT EXPLAIN or figure out why that happened?  No new inquiries, all paid down, all on time, no new credit....NOTHING...YET they DINGED me 14 points????

and the worst is they cannot tell me why that happened.  In reality....it should have gone up 14 points.

My Capital One card was also paid down to just under 10% and it has already reported as well.

I am soooooo annoyed i could spit.

I got an alert from Barclays M/C yesterday with my updated FICO (Trans Union)....also showing at 684.

My balances are also lower than when they reported the 684 so it is not making any sense.

Any ideas out there?  How can i make Experian accoutable for the CHANGE that they calculated yet are unable to say why or where it came from?

Was planning on having mortgage broker run my credit this week (since i knew all of my balances were reporting under 10% and that i should be up in the 680s....) and now the idiots at Experian do this......

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian Drops 14 points & Experian CANNOT say why

@Anonymous wrote:

So a week ago my Experian FICO was 684.  I get an alert from them today that my Credit One M/C has been paid down to 7% utilization and congratulations to me......

that was 3/16/15

right below that alert is.....and your credit score has dropped 14 POINTS to 670

WTH??????

I call experian to find out why and they CANNOT EXPLAIN or figure out why that happened? EX or any other CRA would never be able to explain why neither will most of us here on my Fico since no one knows the Fico algorithm. No new inquiries, all paid down, all on time, no new credit....NOTHING...YET they DINGED me 14 points???? It could be as innocent has the way a payment history is reporting for 1 month by an OC. Personally I dont even look for a reason unless the score exceeds +- 20 points and then its pretty obvious as to what caused the bigger move. Dont sweat Fico score moves or they will drive you nuts, Fico is a fluid number that is constantly in motion.

and the worst is they cannot tell me why that happened.  In reality....it should have gone up 14 points.

My Capital One card was also paid down to just under 10% and it has already reported as well.

I am soooooo annoyed i could spit.

I got an alert from Barclays M/C yesterday with my updated FICO (Trans Union)....also showing at 684.

My balances are also lower than when they reported the 684 so it is not making any sense.

Any ideas out there?  How can i make Experian accoutable for the CHANGE that they calculated yet are unable to say why or where it came from? Forget it, EX doesnt calculate any Fico score the Fair Isaac Corp does and there is no disputing a Fico score.

Was planning on having mortgage broker run my credit this week (since i knew all of my balances were reporting under 10% and that i should be up in the 680s....) and now the idiots at Experian do this...... It isnt EX something was changed or omitted by one of the TLs reporting in your credit profile.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for "talking me off the ledge".......so upsetting.......i did everything i was supposed to......and to see a 14 point drop......just ruined my whole day.

this so called "math" and modelling is all BS......it is how they hold us all hostage and that is what is so upsetting and then tell us things to do to improve our scores...we do it.....they improve and then three days later for no logical explanantion they drop....

Its not my credit.....its people playing with numbers and our lives and then cannot explain the path to these numbers ...since its so complicated. 

sorry just ranting because i feel the whole Credit Scheme is a SCAM.......but here i am trying to qualify to buy a house and correct the issues of my past.......but being held to numbers that really i can barely affect.....since there is no logical method to them......

so there you have it.

i think i should have mortgage broker run me through Automated underwriting ASAP.......since who knows, my score could drop again tomorrow........and of course running my credit will add a new ding.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep in mind that your underwriter cares more about what is IN your reports than the score. You are doing the right things and you will get your points back. Fluctuation like yours will happen. As long as their are no new baddies you will be FINE!!!! Keep up the good work!
Message 4 of 17
itgirl74
Frequent Contributor

+1 to everything gdale said, but also, have you pulled a full report to compare it side-by-side to the previous report? Most likely something else changed in addition to the CC balances. The alerts don't always catch every change.

Starting Score: EQ: 478 | EX: 499 | TU: 534 Current Score:EQ: 759 | EX: 805 | TU: 830 Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take a step back....breathe in....breathe out.....   You can't stress about your score on a daily basis.  It's just like weight loss.  On any given day it can fluctuate up and down several points.  You have to think long term, at minimum 3-6 months at a time.  You have to get yourself into a position that a 20 point swing isn't going to make or break you.  Don't get me wrong, I check my scores probably 10-15 times a day.  The first thing I do when I get up is look for any alerts that posted overnight.  I can't tell you how many times I've woken up at 3 in the morning only to find my laptop on and this message board on the screen.  But the reality is this whole rebulding thing is a LONG TERM PROCESS.  Don't get yourself down.  Use your cards responsiblty and over time you'll see your scores grow significantly.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

my broker told me as long as i have a 640 score i should get automated approval for either USDA or FHA and CAL HFA (CA assistance with down).

Once approved i will be able to breathe.....for a bit.....

not sure if they will rerun credit at close of escrow?  gggrrrr

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Experian report that i printed last week and compared to Experian's "report" (on their website) today.....and nothing different other than my Care Credit balance is lower...

this is what they show...

Credit Debt
$1,306.00

Total Credit
$9,800.00
Good job! Your account balances are low. Keeping your credit utilization rate low can have a positive impact on your credit.

I pulled Experian on 3/11 from MyFico.....FICO 8 was 684 and Fico2 (of course what the lender uses)was 656.....so now i have to assume my Fico2 is 14 points lower?
which would be 642....so now you can see some of my "panic"....with that magic 640 number that i need for Automated Underwriting approval.....
My revolving debt went from $1845 to $1306......
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

trying...hard to "breathe" when i have so much riding on qualifying for my house.....i need to move and buying house is my only option.....am buying a small ranch (my other job is animal rescue....including 5 horses).....so its not like i can just go rent an apartment.....Smiley Wink

and yes......i am trying.....and do realize the long term goals......

I have tax liens that will expire in Oct 2016 and a BK that falls off in Sept. 2015.....so all part of my work with my credit repair.

the fluctuations are just an annyonance on the "journey"....

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the Experian report that i printed last week and compared to Experian's "report" (on their website) today.....and nothing different other than my Care Credit balance is lower...

this is what they show...

Credit Debt
$1,306.00

Total Credit
$9,800.00
Good job! Your account balances are low. Keeping your credit utilization rate low can have a positive impact on your credit.

I pulled Experian on 3/11 from MyFico.....FICO 8 was 684 and Fico2 (of course what the lender uses)was 656.....so now i have to assume my Fico2 is 14 points lower?
which would be 642....so now you can see some of my "panic"....with that magic 640 number that i need for Automated Underwriting approval.....
My revolving debt went from $1845 to $1306......

One cannot make such an assumtion. The old and new scoring models are different, what affects one may have little effect on the other, and vice-versa. Might consider doing a lender pull just to see where you are sitting.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.