cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian and NY 5-yr law ... any strategies?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian and NY 5-yr law ... any strategies?

New York State has a law, GBL 380-j, containing a provision that limits reporting of paid charge-off or collection accounts to no more than five years.

In contrast to the other CRAs, which interpret this five year period to begin with the FCRA First Delinquency Date, Experian's policy appears to be to apply a five-year period from the "Date of Status" -- i.e., the date the account was reported as a paid charge-off or a paid collection -- typically adding months or years to the retention period of the derogatory item, without any firm legal basis.

Have any NY-based consumers ever prevailed upon Experian (or the creditor furnishing the data to Experian) to delete these accounts  based on five years from the DOFD, and if so, how did you go about it?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Experian and NY 5-yr law ... any strategies?

@Anonymous wrote:

New York State has a law, GBL 380-j, containing a provision that limits reporting of paid charge-off or collection accounts to no more than five years.

In contrast to the other CRAs, which interpret this five year period to begin with the FCRA First Delinquency Date, Experian's policy appears to be to apply a five-year period from the "Date of Status" -- i.e., the date the account was reported as a paid charge-off or a paid collection -- typically adding months or years to the retention period of the derogatory item, without any firm legal basis.

Have any NY-based consumers ever prevailed upon Experian (or the creditor furnishing the data to Experian) to delete these accounts  based on five years from the DOFD, and if so, how did you go about it?

The laws of the state of NY apply as written, you can have a CO pay it off 1 month prior to 5 years and it is to be excluded at the 5 year mark in 1 month. EX doesnt get to write their own rules. File a complaint with the NYS AG on this.

Message 2 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Exp did have an interpretation of the NYS exclusion provision that it was not based on DOFD, but to my knowledge, they changed that interpretation a couple of years ago, and now are consistent with the other CRAs in interpreting it as being based on DOFD.

On what are you basing your assumption that Exp is still interpreting the NYS exclusion provision as not being based on DOFD?

Have they actually declined to delete, resurrecting their long-ago interpretation?

Message 3 of 11
wa3more
Established Contributor

Robert is correct. I had an issue with Exp a few years ago on this and a couple of years ago they finally removed like Eq and Tr.

Maybe complain to CFPB and NYS Attorney General. I wrote a letter to Ex legal counsel , maybe that helped, not sure.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The laws of the state of NY apply as written, you can have a CO pay it off 1 month prior to 5 years and it is to be excluded at the 5 year mark in 1 month. EX doesnt get to write their own rules. File a complaint with the NYS AG on this.

@gdale6:

While I definitely prefer your reading of the state law, there's nothing in it that mentions "Date of First Delinquency" or "FCRA Compliance Date":

(f)(1) Except as authorized under paragraph two of this subdivision, no consumer
reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items
of information.

[...]

(iv) accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the
report by more than seven years; or accounts placed for collection or charged to
profit and loss, which have been paid and which antedate the report by more than
five years; [...]

Obviously it is more consistent with the FCRA -- and more favorable to us as consumers -- to "date" charge-off and collection accounts using the DOFD, but couldn't the statute also accommodate other interpretations?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Exp did have an interpretation of the NYS exclusion provision that it was not based on DOFD, but to my knowledge, they changed that interpretation a couple of years ago, and now are consistent with the other CRAs in interpreting it as being based on DOFD.

On what are you basing your assumption that Exp is still interpreting the NYS exclusion provision as not being based on DOFD?

Have they actually declined to delete, resurrecting their long-ago interpretation?

RobertEG:

They have absolutely declined to delete in my case, both for accounts paid in full after charge-off as well as for settled accounts.

Every single Experian representative or supervisor I have spoken to has stated that their policy is five years from the "Date of Status".  And every single dispute on these grounds has failed, with the exception of one bank based within NY State, which immediately authorized deletion.

(In fact, at one point the "Date of Status" was re-aged by four years as the result of a dispute on one account and the representatives stated that it would be five years from the new date unless the company revised the "Date of Status"). 

These derogatory accounts are long gone from Equifax and Transunion.

On what grounds do you believe that Experian has changed their policy?

Message 6 of 11
wa3more
Established Contributor

I had the same experience with them. I then wrote to NY AG, complained to CFPB and then wrote letter to their general counsel.

But one day i made a call and got the right person who just deleted. Not sure if it was just luck or if the complaints helped.

I would try 3 the options in my top line and see what happens.

Message 7 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Briefly, the history is as follows.

The NYS version of exclusion of collections and charge-offs parallels that of the original language of FCRA 605(a)(4), ambiguously defining the 7 year period as running from the date the account was "placed for collection or charged to profit and loss."  To clarify this matter, congress amended the FCRA by adding new section 605(c) back in the 90's, further defined the period as "beginning on the date of commencement of the delinquency which immediately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, of similar action.'   The legislative history makes it clear that this  defines a single, date-certain, which is the commencement (first) of delinquencies in the chain of delinquencies which immediately preceded the collection or charge-off.

The prior abiguity in the FCRA is thus still technically present in the NYS code, which makes no mention of use of DOFD.

The fact that use of DOFD would not per se be inconsistent with the old language of FCRA 605(a)(4) is evident by the way the FCRA was actually amended.  The prior, ambiguous section 605(a)(4) was not deleted, new section 605(c) was added.  Thus, by retaining old section 605(a)(4), it provides one the opportunity to argue that use of DOFD is not inconsistent with the old language, including that of the NYS statute.

EXP made the old school interpretation until a few years ago, but has apparently resurrected that old interpretation.

To obtain a binding interpretation would require litigation, and thus development of binding case law precedent.

To date, I am not aware of any case law from the NYS appellate courts that clarifies the interpretation.

A copy of the code:

New York State  General Business Law Section 380-j

“(f)(1) Except as authorized under paragraph two of this subdivision, no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information.

(i) bankruptcies which, from date of adjudication of the most recent bankruptcy, antedate the report by more than fourteen years;

(ii) judgements which, from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period;  or judgments which, from date of entry, having been satisfied within a five year period from such entry date, shall be removed from the report five years after such entry date;

(iii) paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years or, a paid, satisfied or vacated tax lien involving a purchaser, transferee or assignee in a bulk sale transaction who has been deemed liable by the state tax commission for sales taxes due from a seller, transferrer or assignor under subdivision (c) of section eleven hundred forty-one of the tax law, where the receipt by a credit reporting agency from such purchaser, transferee or assignee of a notice, or true copy thereof, from the state tax commission to such purchaser, transferee or assignee that his liability has been wholly paid or satisfied or no longer exists, antedates the report by more than thirty days;

(iv) accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedate the report by more than seven years;  or accounts placed for collection or charged to profit and loss, which have been paid and which antedate the report by more than five years; “

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the accounts need to be PAID in full or can they be settled? Any experince with settled accounts?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do the accounts need to be PAID in full or can they be settled? Any experince with settled accounts?

So in my experience, Equifax and TransUnion consistently did apply the NY law to accounts that were settled for less than the full amount.  And as you can read elsewhere on this forum, if needed Equifax will routinely delete upon request one month before the scheduled deletion date, while TransUnion will do so six months before; they have applied this policy to the 5-years-from-DOFD NY date for settled accounts as well.

Anecdotally, I've read on these forums in the past that Experian read the law narrowly to exclude settled accounts... but I have no data points of my own on this question.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.