cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian and a 7 year old credit card debt.

tag
JayDilla
Valued Member

Experian and a 7 year old credit card debt.

So I'm having a hella bad problem getting a 7 year old credit card account off my credit report. It was a deliguent account with plains commerce bank. the account was sold or transferred to somewhere. I disputed the account since it was past 7 years. But experian replied back that since the account was never marked as past due and was transferred it stays on my report for 10 years.....does this seem right to anyone else?

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Experian and a 7 year old credit card debt.

Delinquencies must be removed seven years plus 180 days from the DOFD.  You say this is a "delinquent account" but Experian says it's not?  What's the delinquency showing on your report?

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Message 2 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is being considered as an account in good standing.  Apparently, whoever reported it did not include a late payment.  If that is the case it will show in your good accounts for up to 10 years.

It is also possible that the lates themselves came off making it, once again, an account in good standing.

Message 3 of 9
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

I had the exact same thing happen with a BofA account also with Experian. On my EF and TU reports, it was showing as a negative account for a while then it fell off, but on EX it was listed under positive accounts but showed charged off/closed in the status. I disputed it through the online process and told them that the account should not be listed as a positive account and should actually had aged off and they deleted it shortly after.

Message 4 of 9
JayDilla
Valued Member

it doesnt show as deliguent in the report....i just know it was. The cc company only reported to the CB one month and that month they marked as good right before they sold the account to collections.....for all the months leading up to the account being sold they didnt report anything on time or late just no reporting then the same month they sent it to collections they marked it as ok.

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@JayDilla wrote:

it doesnt show as deliguent in the report....i just know it was. The cc company only reported to the CB one month and that month they marked as good right before they sold the account to collections.....for all the months leading up to the account being sold they didnt report anything on time or late just no reporting then the same month they sent it to collections they marked it as ok.

If the account is not a derogatory account then I'd leave it alone.   Closed accounts typically remain for 10 years from the date closed, although sometimes they hang around longer or leave earlier.....YMMV

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@JayDilla wrote:

So I'm having a hella bad problem getting a 7 year old credit card account off my credit report. It was a deliguent account with plains commerce bank. the account was sold or transferred to somewhere. I disputed the account since it was past 7 years. But experian replied back that since the account was never marked as past due and was transferred it stays on my report for 10 years.....does this seem right to anyone else?

I don't understand why you are disputing this account.  If it is listed as an account in good standing, it should be helping you.  Pray they don't delete it, or you might see a score drop.

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Don't dispute the account, whatever had made it negative in the past has aged off and the account is now a positive TL.  Let it sit there as long as it wants to.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the dispute related to the deletion of an account, what the CRA was saying is that expiration of a CR exclusion period for adverse items reported under an account does not result in exclusion of the account itself from your CR, only the item that has passed its exclusion period. 

In actuality, nothing is "deleted," the information is only excluded from normal credit reports they issue after that date. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.