cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experian responds to dispute with "suspicious activity" letter.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian responds to dispute with "suspicious activity" letter.

I saw a couple of old posts about these letters. I mailed a dispute letter 1/17/15 to Experian requesting deletion of an old collection item that was well-beyond 7 years, and I get this in the mail today:

"We received a suspicious request regarding your personal credit information that we have determined was not sent by you.This could be deemed as deceptive or fraudulent use of your information. We have not taken any action on this request. Any future requests made in this manner will not be processed and will not receive a response. Suspcious requests are taken seriously and reviewed by Experian security personnel who will report deceptive activity, including copies of letters deemed as suspicious, to law enforcement officials and to state or federal regulatory agencies."

Needless to say, I shot off a response today indicating that I expect them to act on the 1/17/15 letter within 30 days of its original reciept.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Experian responds to dispute with "suspicious activity" letter.

They are stating that they have reasonable basis to question whether communications sent to them are in fact from you.

If they in fact have documentatiion of such activity, I would consider their letter to be reasonable.

I would send a renewed dispute that contains adequate proof of your identity, such as copies of govenmeent IDs and bills sent to your current address of record.

As for the substance of your dispute, what did you include as a showing that the collection was "well beyond 7 years" ?

Do you have the reported DOFD, and thus your dispute is based on the collection still showing after 7 years plus 180 days from the reported DOFD, or are you questioning the accuracy of the reported DOFD itself?

The relevance is that if you are challenging the latter (i.e., the accuracy of the reported DOFD), you can send a direct dispute to the debt collector, thus avoiding any involvement f the CRA in your dispute.  However, if you are asserting that the CRA has failed to exclude the collection from your CR after expieration of the CR exclusion period, then you must continue to pursue via the CRA.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.