Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with Cap1 deletion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experience with Cap1 deletion?

Cap1 recently agreed to do a GW delete on a tradeline (a CC that had some negatives from years ago), within 30-60 days from now. I noticed yesterday (about 5 days after I got confirmation from Cap1) that EX has updated data for that same tradeline, where the negative status (settled for less than full amount) and all lates are gone, but the tradeline is still there, just empty. My FICO score also got a 12 point drop.

What I'm confused about is they told me specifically they would "delete the tradeline."

Is it possible they meant they were deleting the negatives? It was the EO, and they typically seem pretty specific/particular about the language they use. Or is this some intermediary step in deleting the tradeline?

(This was originally posted as a reply to another thread of mine, but I decided to make it its own post. Sorry for the duplication...)

3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Experience with Cap1 deletion?

Deletion of the delinquencies, providing they are the only derogs reported on the account, is usually preferable to deletion of the entire account.

The account will continue to be included in all other categories of scoring, such as utilization and length of credit history.

If the account had an age that is longer than your current average age of accounts, then you would want that account to continue reporting unless it also still showed a delnquent balance, and was thus affecting your percent utilization.

If the account continues to report and no longer shows any derogs or any debt balance, then removal of the derogs alone would not result in a score decrease.

Some other factor that you are not considering is the culprit.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know, thanks.

I went through the report line by line, comparing all 3 CRAs and otherwise Cap1 did close an old CC that was inactive for 24 months, causing my overall credit line to decrease slightly. My utilization increased thusly about 1%. Maybe the AAoA took a hit in that sense. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually Cap1 EO will send you a letter telling what they did with a confirmation number. If you didn't get a letter from them stating they have requested the credit reporting agencies to delete the tradeline, you then must have misunderstood what they told you.

If you are sure they told you they were going to delete the tradeline and have not, I would suggest calling the EO representative that made the promise and inquire.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.