cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

tag
daveg38
Established Contributor

Re: Experience with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

I just now found this thread, and am glad I did!

I've logged a total of 48 autodialed calls from PRA (First one got the verbal C & D, and 47 I am prepared to prove fall under 'willful negligence which totals $70500) and would love to find either an attorney to get a decent settlement for me, or ITS w/ Federal filing draft ready to go.

Question: I know Portfolio Recovery has been raked over the coals by New York for something (I forget what specifically), and I'm begging them to challenge me in court (since they obviously harvested my cell number - OC had my home phone).  If I file here in Indiana, do you think they'll actually send an attorney from Virginia to Indiana, or just buckle and settle?  Anyone have a COMPELLING intent to sue letter I can have (bleep out your info)?

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 101 of 111
spectremi

Daveg38: I've sent you a message with an attorney I used (recommended by someone on this board) he did amazing things for me Smiley Happy
Message 102 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

These people are nuts.

I paid my balance my Lord and Taylor card, a total of 182.53 last July.

About a month ago, I started getting calls from them, saying i owe them 182.53.  I told them I paid it. 

Yes, they see the payment of 182.53 back in July, but now I owe them the interest and the late fees of 182.53.

I said I did not incur these fees as it was paid back in July in a timely manner.  I said it was impossible that these fees came

out to the exact amout of 182.53.

I asked for the manager, asked for her name, the address, phone number.  She got all nervous but answered me "what do you  ned this for?' I said "so I can sue you for harassment"  She gave it all to me...

How can I get them to stop???

Message 103 of 111
Established Member

I have a collection from Portfolio Recovery for $800 on a two year old Capital One account. This item has been verified by the CRA's as being valid, as well as by portfolio recovery themselves. What is my next course of action to have this removed.

Message 104 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump as I am also curious had a old paypal card tried to settle years ago and they refused and wanted no less than 80% at the time. Debt is 4 years old

Message 105 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone has the contact information for the lawyer that has helped some of you, could you pm it to me? I'd like to see if the lawyer can help me rather than than deal with these people myself. My debt is still within SOL in my state though, so not sure if he could help me. 

Message 106 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

I found this thread via Google search. I wanted to start off by apologizing if I ask any questions that were already answered in this thread.

My mother received a debt collection letter from PRA back in June stating she owed about 7K.  I recently had paid one of her debts for another creditor that sent a similar type letter but I am unable to help her with this debt.  In this letter new correspondence from PRA they are threathing to sue if she does not respond.  My mother has no income and has been under my care for the last 6-7 years.  I am sad to say that her memory is starting to get foggy and she does not remember anything about this debt but I am sure the debt is legit.  Is PRA likely to take her to court under these circumstances?  if awarded what can they take from her?  I literally take care of all her expenses so that she can live comfortably.

Message 107 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

My husband had a collection in 2010 that portfolio recovery sued him and had his wages garnished over a credit card bill they say was turned over to them and they are now trying to collect a second time on this. They are awful to deal with and the funny thing is that he has never had a credit card EVER. 

Message 108 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone PM me information on an attorney who has settled with PRA?  Thanks!

Message 109 of 111
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excuse my lack of knowledge. Whatdoes GW and PFD means?

Message 110 of 111
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.