cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

tag
spectremi

Re: Experience with Portfolio Recovery Associates?

So, interesting update, I have been ignoring phone calls (they've been sporadic) and never wound up sending a followup "this was not a legit DV" letter (been so busy, and there wasn't an easy form letter to copy/paste that I saw...) I got a letter from them (normal mail, nothing special) saying that my account is in the litigation department now and offering a settlement. Basically 30% (estimated) reduction if I pay it off in full in one payment, maybe 20% (estimated) reduction if I paid $x for 6 months, and 10% (estimated) if I paid $y for 12 months. So sounds like they're already thinking settlement. I would be happy to settle, but more like 10-20% of the original value. I am not sure if I should send a letter thanking them for their offer, saying that I still have not received proper DV, and/or countering them with a 10% offer on the condition they can provide a legitimate DV? I'd like to play a little hardball, but I would also like this to be over and done with too. Any help is appreciated. Private messages are appreciated too. For someone extremely skilled at playing this game I would even offer a little cash for the assistance with working the system! Thanks!
Message 81 of 111
Downto0
Regular Contributor

You can try these guys:

[MOD CUT]

I've had pretty good luck with them.  They took and won about half of my cases for me.  There's no sense of going pro se when these guys will do all the work and pay the costs up front. 

I asked for DV, PRA sent something from their own office as they did you, and I told them it wasn't DV.  They sued.  Following that example, they are ready to sue.  Doesn't mean that they will, just that they will be making a decision whether they should or not.  I'd either be contacting a NACA attorney or preparing my counter claims. 

Edited website 

Message 82 of 111
spectremi

How much did it run if you don't mind me asking? I don't want to hire someone if it's going to be a bunch of money to get something started that might go nowhere. They do the work up front? Smiley Tongue
Message 83 of 111
Downto0
Regular Contributor

Nothing.  A lot of NACA attorneys want something up front but these guys took my cases, worked them, and sent me the settlement money.  You got to have a good case though.  They don't take them all...just the ones they know they can win.  Attoneys for Consumers.

Message 84 of 111
MakingPlans
New Visitor

What is a DV letter?

Message 85 of 111
mf94

What is CMRRR?  Thanks!

Message 86 of 111
mf94

DV = debt validation. 

Message 87 of 111
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mf94 wrote:

What is CMRRR?  Thanks!

Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested

        
Message 88 of 111
dwell
New Visitor

How do you request debt validation?
Message 89 of 111
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dwell wrote:
How do you request debt validation?

Welcome to the forum

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/td-p/337142

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 90 of 111
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.