Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert Advice Needed - Next Rebuilding Steps

tag
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

Expert Advice Needed - Next Rebuilding Steps

I have worked on rebuilding for the past month since I have found this wonderful message board and have had a few successes.  I have PFD some small collections, gotten errors removed from my CR, and I am working with a person on getting some goodwill on a paid collection. 

I need to get a car before December so I am going to put all of my business out here on the board so that all of you credit experts/gurus can give me a helping hand on what I can do to boost my score up.  I think that if I can get them all to 630 I shouldn't have any problem buying a car with $2500 down (hopefully).  All of my baddies are below.  What advice do you have for me?  Let me know if you have any questions or need any more info.  Thanks!

ETA: The text in red are the issues i'm not really sure what to do about. 

Open CC    
CreditorCLBalanceLatesNotes
Clearview FCU30030630 - Jan 11, Apr 11Co-signer on   brother's CC how much are these effecting me?  are credit unions receptive to goodwill requests?
FPB25018930 - Sep 10, Jun 11,   Aug 11, Dec 11.  60 - Oct 10, Sep 11.   90 - Nov 10  
Cap 130050Never Late 

Open   Student Loans    
Creditor# of loans LatesNotes
AES2 60 - Jan 11, July   11.  90 - Dec 10, June 11In forebearance during periods of late payments shown. not sure what to do, should i let it ride until 2018?
DOE/SM2 90 - Jan 11.  120 - Feb 11.In forebearance during periods of late payments shown. Advocate said forbearance was after lates already reported so   they couldn't be changed. Loan consolidated in July. not sure what to do, should i let it ride until 2018?
SM4 90 - Jan 11.  120 - Feb 11.In forebearance during periods of late payments shown. Advocate said forbearance was after lates already reported so   they couldn't be changed. Loan consolidated in July. not sure what to do, should i let it ride until 2018?

Closed   CC     
CreditorCLBalanceLatesNotesDOFD
Clearview FCU300030 - Jan 11, Apr 11Lost/Stolen CC I   cosigned for my brother 
Clearview FCU500030 - May 09, Feb 10,   Dec 10Closed paid in full. 
GECRB/Amazon550113charged offSent letter to Amazon update Amazon doesn't own this debt, refered me to CA ERC.  ERC is not reporting to CRA yet.  Received dunning a while ago, should i send them a PFD even though it's not on CRy yet?May-09
GECRB/JCPenney18000charged offSent to CA - Security   Credit Service  ?? don't have funds to PIF right now.Jul-09
HSBC5000charged offWas able to PFD with   CA Sep 2011 sent GW letter waiting on response.Jun-09
HSBC3000 Settled for less than   full balance sent GW letter waiting on response.Nov-09

Closed   Loans    
CreditorAmtBalanceLatesNotes
Clearview FCU2543030 - May 09. 60 - Jun   09, July 09, Aug 09Paid in full. School   Loan - Not sure what to do
Clearview FCU7028030 - Jun 09, Nov   09.  60 - July 09.  90 - Aug 09, Sep 09Paid in full, Car   Loan - Not sure what to do

Collections     
Collection   AgencyBalanceOpenedLast ReportedOriginal CreditorNotes
Credit   Collections USA1291/15/20121/15/2012MedicalWill PFD
Credit   Management Co2882/27/20125/5/2012MedicalWill PFD
National   Recovery Agency27610/29/20097/5/2012MedicalWill PFD
Security   Credit Service129311/24/20121/14/2011GECRB/JCPenneys??  don't have funds to pay in full right now
Univ of Pgh357511/24/20046/29/2012  ?? don't have funds to pay in full right now

Starting Score: 6/27/2012: TU-543 EQ-501 EX-535(Quizzle)
Current Score: 12/18/12: TU-571 EQ-547 EX-555(PSECU)
Goal Score: 630 by March

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
snsforever916
Regular Contributor

Re: Putting it all out there

WOW...It's crazy how your score is higher than mine and your file looks a lot worse. Are those FICO scores? I have 4 cards, never late with less utlization and higher overall CL's. I also have a paid off car loan with lates but not that recent. I have 3 collections not paid.  I got a car loan last June and I am paying 11% and that is when my scores were higher 620.

Starting Scores:
Lender Pull 7/10/2012 EQ 585 EX 617 TU 551
8/2012 MyFico EX 598 01/2013 EX 608 2/2013 EX 620 Smiley Surprised)
9/12/2012 624 (Fico Discover)
02/7/2013 660 (Fico Wally)
At least I'm heading in the right direction!!!

Goal Score:740+, home loan and Get rid of subprime cards!!!

Message 2 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In broad-brush, having multiple major derogs will make significant score increases difficult until they are either deleted or excluded.

The 90-lates, charge-offs, and collections are all major derogs. 

The Univ of Pgh collection shows an open date of 2004.  Is that the open date for the OC account, or for the reported collection?

What is the DOFD on the OC account, and thus is it scheduled to die of its own old age prior to your December target date?

The two GECRB cards show no current efforts to delete.  Both were charged-off by the OC, so those are major reported derogs, in addition to any collection that has or may be reported.

You state that you sent a letter to GECRB/Amazon on their CO.  Being as they are still reporting a balance, they apparently still own the debt.

Was your letter a PFD offer for deletion of their CO?  Of concern is that they could still either assign or sell to a debt collector, so it may be another looming collection.

It would be a priority of mine, as it has the potential to get worse.  You may want to consider paying even if they wont PFD on the CO to avoid an additional collection.

The GECRB/JCPenney has apparently been sold to the debt collector, leaving you with GW offers to the OC to deal with their charge-off, and PFD your means for dealing with the collection.   Can you pay the debt collector now, and thus offer a PFD?

Message 3 of 12
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

@snsforever916 - I'm not sure what to tell you but the TU and EQ scores are FICO. My EX is from Quizzle.

@RobertEG thanks for responding. On my Experian CR it says the date opened is 11/2004, the "reported since" date is 5/2008. Is that the date I should be looking at instead?

My letter to Amazon was a PFD. They pretty much ignored the pay for delete part and said that they did own the debt so I could pay them.

Here is another issue with the JCP account. I got a letter in the mail today from another CA different from the one who is reporting now. They are Mercantile Adjustment Bureau and they are offering a settlement. Should I send a DV to the CA on my CR first before sending them a PFD?

Message 4 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you received a letter from a new debt collector, that is indication that the old debt collector is now out of the picture.

That does not require the prior debt collector to delete, or prevent the new debt collector from reporting.

Communication from a new debt collector triggered their obligation to provide their own dunning notice within 30-days.  Did their letter also advise you of your DV rights?  If so, you have a 30-day period in which to DV with them.  If it was just a settlement offer, then any DV would be timely.

Reasons to DV the new debt collector:

1.  To receive verification of the validity of the debt, the debt collector's stated authority, and the current amount of the debt.  Do you need/want that?

2.  Invoke a temporary cease collection bar on them, thus preventing reporting of their collection until such time as  they provide the requested debt verification.

Reasons for NOT sending a DV:

1.  The cease collection bar will, until they provide verification, prevent them from conducting any negotiations on payment of the debt, so you will be in a temporary state of limbo.  With approx 6 months until your stated date of dealing with deletion, you most likely have some time to wait them out.

2.  Sending a DV might cause them to report their collection immediately upon providing debt verification.

Message 5 of 12
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

The letter does say I have 30 days from receipt of the notice to dispute the validity. The amount on this letter is also almost $700 more than when it was with the other CA. I think I'm going to send them the DV. Should I dispute the entry from the other CA or send them a DV also?

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If a DV to debt collector 1 would be untimely, it is not apt to have much impact.  Their dunning was more than 30 days ago?

Additionally, assuming debt collector 1 is now out of the picture, even if your DV were timely, they would not be conducting any further collection activity.

Thus, no reason for them to do anything with a DV.

You can DV debt collector 1, but it might be kinda useless at this point if they are no longer collecting.

Message 7 of 12
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

Understood. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
icanimprove
Established Member

OP, are your medical collections reporting to all 3 CRA's? Did you already send the PFD letters to the medical CA's?

Message 9 of 12
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

@ icanimprove, the medical collections are reporting to all three.  I didn't PFD them but I will. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.