Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exquifax score went up 11 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exquifax score went up 11 points

I am so excited but confused as well. I paid a medical bill  $111.00 that was with a CA; the account is 5 months. I paid it and did not expect my score to be effected but it jumped up to 11 points. Is the norm? I am new to the community and have been reading that if your account is at a CA and there is a balance;  paying  it would not effect your score. I am so excited, I plan to pay the other medical bill under that CA. But I plan to send them a PFD letter and a goodwill to remove the one with a $.0 balance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: Exquifax score went up 11 points

I believe if the collection accounts are "new/recent" (like yours 5 months old) then yes, it would have a score impact if it was affecting your %util (which in your case it looks like it was). If the collections are years old, then it wouldn't make a score difference paying them.

Message 2 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Collections and public records are not factored in FICO util calculations. Charge-offs are a different story, tho.

Message 3 of 7
2NE1
Established Contributor

@fused wrote:

Collections and public records are not factored in FICO util calculations. Charge-offs are a different story, tho.

Oh... OK, someone on here did mentioned that if a collection was part of the %util, then it made a score difference... Smiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

@fused wrote:

Oh... OK, someone on here did mentioned that if a collection was part of the %util, then it made a score difference... Smiley Indifferent

If it was a credit card or other revolving line of credit that wasn't paid in collections or charged off then yes it would make a difference to pay it and get current and get it out of the utility calculation.

Other kinds of collections being paid would not make a difference.

The OP needs to say what kind of a collection was paid and also IMO should puruse the reports carefully for other reasons the score could have gone up.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your comments guys! I just received an email alert from TU. the email explains that my dispute that I placed 4 days ago on a public record has been deleted from my report. So is this what's helping my score in combination with the 0 balance on CA account?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh! Forgot to mention that the TU score went down 5 points weird. How does one go up 11 points and the Prather go down?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.