Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely confused - getting collection removed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Extremely confused - getting collection removed

Ok so this is a VERY long story involving at least 20 calls over many weeks on my part.

To best summerize, I had a hospital bill that was sent to the wrong address.  Hospital admitted their error, and agreed to recall the collection and bill me directly instead. 

Confirmed this via phone with collection agency.  Received a letter dated January 8th from the collection agency stating that all credit bureaus were notified to delete all credit reporting listed by them as to my name. 

Waited a week and didn't see any action happening so initiated online disputes with all 3 credit bureaus today.  Then I contacted all 3 credit bureaus via phone.  For TU and EQ I was only able to reach someone in India who gave me a fax number to send the previously mentioned letter to. 

With Experian I was actually able to reach someone in Texas and she said they hadn't received any contact from the CA yet but then went on to explain to me that the letter from the CA won't do anything anyway.  She said that even though they are the ones who originally reported the collection, they would treat them as a third party, and that only *I* have any power to delete anything from my report.  She requested that I send a copy of the letter and a utility bill to their P.O. box and they would delete the account.

I thought that once it got deleted from one bureau the others pick it up but she also said that the other agencies don't share information so it sounds like I will need to repeat this process with TU and EQ, which is frustrating because I can't reach a real person and I don't know if those fax numbers will be good enough.

Is all of this information correct?  Has anyone dealt with this before?  Any advice?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Extremely confused - getting collection removed

Here is what the letter from the CA says:

January 8, 2013

Please be advised that all credit bureaus were notified on this date to delete all credit reporting listed by this company as to your name.

We have requested that they indicate this in their records.

Sincerely,

*NAME* *Ext 670*

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The only person that can technically have an account deleted is the creditor that placed it there.  If there is a dispute or some other error you could get it done.

I would go ahead and send what they requested of you.  EX can be hard to deal with sometimes.

The 3 CRAs do not talk to one another and do not know what is on the others reports.  You have to deal with each one individually.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

The only person that can technically have an account deleted is the creditor that placed it there.  If there is a dispute or some other error you could get it done.

So the person I spoke with was wrong?  The letter from the CA should have been enough?

She was very nice and helpful and seemed like she knew what she was talking about...

Message 4 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, the CRA was incorrect.  The CA actually has forms they need to fill out and send to the CRAs.  The letter should work if it has the account number and your name on it.

Many CRAs customer service reps don't know as much as they let on.  No offense to them, just a fact.

But, if you were told to send that paperwork I would do it.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

Yes, the CRA was incorrect.  The CA actually has forms they need to fill out and send to the CRAs.  The letter should work if it has the account number and your name on it.

Many CRAs customer service reps don't know as much as they let on.  No offense to them, just a fact.

But, if you were told to send that paperwork I would do it.

Wow, really.  It did have my account # and name.  I sent it earlier today and am now working on faxing to the other 2 agencies.  I just hope this works!

Thanks so much for the info!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.