Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FCO Success?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FCO Success?!

Hey gang,

So I just wanted to share a bit of good news. I have a $763 collection account with FCO, due to an old apartment situation... ex boyfriend, blah blah blah. Based on the community here, I haven't even bothered to reach out to them because they sound like they are impossible to deal with. Instead, I took the advice of a couple community members and reached out to the OC to see if I could pay them and they'd subsequently recall the debt. I sent a message through their website a few weeks back and no response.

Last night, I spent about 30 minutes tracking down the CEO's e-mail and sent him a similar message, directly. Today I get a response that says he is following up with his management and accounting team and one of them will reach out to me. Definitely not a success story YET, but I have my fingers crossed. The fact he even responded has got to be good news...

Good vibes!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TuffTurkey
Regular Contributor

Re: FCO Success?!

Woo Awesome! Finger crossed too! Update us and let us know what the ceo says!

Message 2 of 5
Echavous

That's great!

Based on my research of FCO, I decided to contact the OC to see if I could pay them instead of CA...I was told (by a Leasing Consultant, I assume) that they could not take my payment as it was referred to collections. After numerous attempts to negotiate with FCO, I then decided again to reach out to OC and this time asked for a manager. She told me that I could pay them and they in turn would notify FCO the account is satisfied and to please remove the account. So we shall see!

This is an older thread, but want to reiterate that try your best to get the OC involved it's practially the only way.

Thanks to all of these posts, I am on my way to a clean credit file and eventually home ownership!

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Remember that the debt collector has no obligation to delete their collection if you pay the OC unless the OC first termiantes the assigned collection authority.

While the OC can request the debt collector to delete, the reporting of the collection was by the debt collector,and only they can delete.

There is no provision under either the FCRA or the FDCPA that requires a debt collector to delete their reported collection if you pay directly to the OC

However, the CRA reporting manual has instructions to debt collectors that they should delete their reported collection  if their collection authority has been terminated while the debt remains unpakd.  Thus, after termiation of collection authoriyt by the OC and then their scceptance of payment, if the debt collector has not deleted, you can dispute to the CRA under their own reporting requirements for deletion of the collection.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info, thanks!

Would this be an instance where sending DV letter to CA after OC is paid would make sense?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.