Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA & Unpaid Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA & Unpaid Collections

I talked to a lender about getting pre-approval for an FHA loan. I told her that I had an unpaid collection for ~$4500 that was just about to fall off (last paid 2/2008). At first she didn't think this would be a problem, but after running my creit (score was 680), she indicated that I would need to enter into a payment plan with the CA, but that since it was SO CLOSE to falling off, that I shouldn't do anything and just wait, start shopping for a house. She said that she could give me a pre-approval contingent on this falling off. 

I pulled my three reports. TransUnion is saying "Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 02/2015" (next month).  Equifax says: "Date of First Delinquency: 03/2008". Experian doesn't appear to be reporting it. 

When can I expect this to fall off my credit? Will I need to take any steps to remove it from my credit? Do you think it will realistically fall off in February or March?

The dilemma is that I must move out of my rental by March 1st, so I'm really up against a time crunch (and don't want to sign another one year lease somewhere). I do have options for moving into somewhere for a month or two, but I probably can't stretch it much past May 1st.

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: FHA & Unpaid Collections

maybe ask this in the credit forum

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 7
Peter1142
Established Contributor

They are legally allowed to stay on for 7 years and IIRC 110 days from DOFD... no guarantees they will fall off at exactly 7 years.

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just curious...... why is the lenfor willing to ignore an unpaid debt based only  on it becoming excluded from your credit report?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Just curious...... why is the lenfor willing to ignore an unpaid debt based only  on it becoming excluded from your credit report?

My guess would be that although they originate the loan, they are looking to sell it as soon as possible.  Very few lenders keep the loans themselves.

Message 5 of 7
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I talked to a lender about getting pre-approval for an FHA loan. I told her that I had an unpaid collection for ~$4500 that was just about to fall off (last paid 2/2008). At first she didn't think this would be a problem, but after running my creit (score was 680), she indicated that I would need to enter into a payment plan with the CA, but that since it was SO CLOSE to falling off, that I shouldn't do anything and just wait, start shopping for a house. She said that she could give me a pre-approval contingent on this falling off. 

I pulled my three reports. TransUnion is saying "Estimated month and year that this item will be removed: 02/2015" (next month).  Equifax says: "Date of First Delinquency: 03/2008". Experian doesn't appear to be reporting it. 

When can I expect this to fall off my credit? Will I need to take any steps to remove it from my credit? Do you think it will realistically fall off in February or March?

The dilemma is that I must move out of my rental by March 1st, so I'm really up against a time crunch (and don't want to sign another one year lease somewhere). I do have options for moving into somewhere for a month or two, but I probably can't stretch it much past May 1st.

Thanks for any advice!

Based on my experience from last year with MULIPLE, MUTIPLE baddies falling off I would expect the following:

EXP tends to fall off first, usually 1 month prior to the others.

EQ usually falls off on the first of the month, in your case I would say probably 2/1

TU typically fell off for me last and on the exact date of the DOFD, minus 7 years.  So if it says it will fall off 2/15, but the DOFD was on 3/10/08...... it won't fall off until 2/10/15.

Just my .02 from what happened to me last year.

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Do an online dispute and dispute it as obsolete.  This will usually result in an early deletion.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.