Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO SCORE VS CONSUMER SCORE IS THERE SUCH A THING

tag
mrsbatch
Established Member

FICO SCORE VS CONSUMER SCORE IS THERE SUCH A THING

Greetings all Happy 2011.

I am on the very frustrating journey of rebuilding credit and trying to get a FICO score so I can get a mortgage. 

I was just told by the Bureau that my Mortgage lender used that I have no FICO score because TU,Exper and Equix. are only reporting "consumer scores" not FICO

scores to them?  I ordered my reports from three bureau's and saw two with 730 and one with 721, so when Mortgage person said I had no score at all I started to

look into reason why.  I got myself 3 , secured credit cards in August and have been paying them in full, I was just told today that 5 months later I STILL have no FICO

because I have been paying them in full and not leaving any balance! so now I guess I will start to pay off 85% of the amount due and the balance next month..

I am trying to get the correct information on how I can get a FICO score going and if it is true about two different scoring systems being used...

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: FICO SCORE VS CONSUMER SCORE IS THERE SUCH A THING

@mrsbatch wrote:

Greetings all Happy 2011.

I am on the very frustrating journey of rebuilding credit and trying to get a FICO score so I can get a mortgage. 

I was just told by the Bureau that my Mortgage lender used that I have no FICO score because TU,Exper and Equix. are only reporting "consumer scores" not FICO

scores to them?  I ordered my reports from three bureau's and saw two with 730 and one with 721, so when Mortgage person said I had no score at all I started to

look into reason why.  I got myself 3 , secured credit cards in August and have been paying them in full, I was just told today that 5 months later I STILL have no FICO

because I have been paying them in full and not leaving any balance! so now I guess I will start to pay off 85% of the amount due and the balance next month..

I am trying to get the correct information on how I can get a FICO score going and if it is true about two different scoring systems being used...

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light for me

I believe you have to wait 6 months from initial 1st time receiving credit to obtain a FICO score. If I am incorrect some one will chime in and correct me.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 20
mrsbatch
Established Member

Smiley Happy

Thank you

Message 3 of 20
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Hello there.

In order for a FICO® score to be calculated, a credit report must contain these minimum requirements:

• At least one account that has been open for six months or more
  • At least one undisputed account that has been reported to the credit bureau with in the past six months
  • No indication of deceased on the credit report (Please note: if you share an account with another person this may affect you if the other account holder is reported deceased).

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

so now I guess I will start to pay off 85% of the amount due and the balance next month..

Hi mrsbatch - welcome!

Just to be sure - when you pulled your reports -  Were the secured cc's reporting that the accounts existed?  And with the proper open date?  If so, you're fine, even if they don't report a balance.

Generally speaking, it's best FICO-scorewise to only report a balance on one card; and that card should report less than a 9% balance.  If you allow all your cards to report a balance, and they're reporting over 9%, you can potentially get a bit of a FICO score drop on both counts.  At least, that is, when you actually have a FICO score.  If you're prepping for a mortgage application, this advice can be very helpful to keep your scores at their highest. 

Best wishes and congratulations on your hard work! 

Message 5 of 20
mrsbatch
Established Member

weird thing is I see scores on three reports I order from experian which are 730/730/721

but my mortgage lender said   they dont show up on his report he does for me, so he said these are invalid and not from FICO.

the three credit card companies do show on the three reports I purchased...

guess I just need to make sure I leave a balance of 10% or less at all times on each card... i like to pay them in full right away

which is what i have been doing since august, guess that was not theright thing to do

Thanks again

Message 6 of 20
mrsbatch
Established Member

Sorry -- just re-read your answer ---  so only keep balance on ONE card?  ok will try that

much appreciated

Message 7 of 20
mrsbatch
Established Member

Thanks so much for info

p.s. my spouse is also a VietNamVet and I LOVED how you sign your emails

Message 8 of 20
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@mrsbatch wrote:

weird thing is I see scores on three reports I order from experian which are 730/730/721

but my mortgage lender said   they dont show up on his report he does for me, so he said these are invalid and not from FICO.

the three credit card companies do show on the three reports I purchased...

guess I just need to make sure I leave a balance of 10% or less at all times on each card... i like to pay them in full right away

which is what i have been doing since august, guess that was not theright thing to do

Thanks again

These would be FAKO scores not FICO scores.

The scores are pretty much useless and any information they give you to obtain higher scores is also useless. The Credit Reports are okay as long as you ignore the scores and advice.

Good Luck

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 9 of 20
mrsbatch
Established Member

what is FAKO????  what a leaning process this is Smiley Very Happy

thanks so much I will figure it out someday

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.