cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score 562 today, starting this journey!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score 562 today, starting this journey!

I am tired of having poor credit. It's my goal to change that! I just need some direction. I checked my FICO score today using CreditCheckTotal and it is 562. I have no credit cards (never have), no loans, only a vehicle loan. Going through a divorce, the last couple of years I have been late on my vehicle payment over and over again. It is now caught up and has been for 3 months now. I do have some medical collections and a judgement (the judgement has been paid in full). By reading on here, I did learn to open a finger hut account which I did yesteray and was approved with a credit line of 400. I plan to purchase something under 100.00 and make min payments to help with credit. What else can I do? Is it too soon after applying for finer hut to apply for a gas card or other credit card? Are there any other non secured credit cards I may be ellidgeable for? I have a goal to buy a house in the next couple of years.. I've never owned a home and its time to fix this mess! Any help at all would be appreicated! Thank you!!! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score 562 today, starting this journey!

Welcome to the forums and your credit journey. You can check the Capital One prequalification site to see if you are prequalified for one of their cards. The site is https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_QUICK_RWD_V01.aspx. If they have you preapproved, go for it. Try to stay away from FirstPremier and CreditOne. Both of those are predatory in my opinion. Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response ! I did try the link and it said "we cant match you with any card at this time" ... assuming that means a big fat NO. Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the response ! I did try the link and it said "we cant match you with any card at this time" ... assuming that means a big fat NO. Smiley Happy 

I wasn't matched either and just apped for the card they "thought I might like" .... and now I have a platinum and QS1.. I apped for the platinum first and once they approved and I went right back in for the QS1. Give it a try.. you never know.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

openskycc has been good to me so far.

apply for opensky secured credit card, they don't run credit check and reports to credit bureau. 

My cell phone bill is setup on auto pay with them and i pay it before the statement cuts off..

Also try BoFA secured card

Cap1 is goot for rebuilding... They should have 99 down with 300 credit line offer so check on their pre-qualify site.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait until you get an alert that the Fingerhut account has appeared on your reports. You should get a score boost when that happens. Then go apply for a Capital One Platinum card (don't bother with the prequal, just app). If approved immediately apply for the QS1 card. If deniad apply for their secured card.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should consider a credit union for a secured savings loan to establish installment credit in addition to the revolving credit lines you are trying to aquire.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am tired of having poor credit. It's my goal to change that! I just need some direction. I checked my FICO score today using CreditCheckTotal and it is 562. I have no credit cards (never have), no loans, only a vehicle loan. Going through a divorce, the last couple of years I have been late on my vehicle payment over and over again. It is now caught up and has been for 3 months now. I do have some medical collections and a judgement (the judgement has been paid in full). By reading on here, I did learn to open a finger hut account which I did yesteray and was approved with a credit line of 400. I plan to purchase something under 100.00 and make min payments to help with credit. What else can I do? Is it too soon after applying for finer hut to apply for a gas card or other credit card? Are there any other non secured credit cards I may be ellidgeable for? I have a goal to buy a house in the next couple of years.. I've never owned a home and its time to fix this mess! Any help at all would be appreicated! Thank you!!! 

Don't make min payments, make sure you pay if full every statements. Any amount you charge and don't pay by due date is subject to high APR and you end up paying interest trying to build credit. Instead your balance especially if you at any point apply and get CreditOne or First Premier or likes of those cards. No need to pay interest to build your credit. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wish you the best!

You're in a good community

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.