Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FP Charge Off Pay In Full vs. Settle

tag
Angelmom9905
Established Member

FP Charge Off Pay In Full vs. Settle

w  I have a CO from FP on my CRAs.  DOLA is 12/08.  We are trying to get a mortgage and my broker says it has to be paid.  I have a few questions.

1.  Does it matter if Should I pay in full ($512) which will mark the account $0 paid in full or the settlement amount offered ($300) which will mark the account $0 settled for less than full amount?

2.  Will this increase or decrease my score?

3.  Is it included in my utilization?

It is reporting as a Charge Off as shown below:

Reported 8/12     Last Activity 12/08      Opened 10/08     Limit $275    30(1) 60 (1) 90+ (06/12, 12/10) Past Due $512   Payment $26E     Balance $512

Type/Rate: REV Credit Card 09

I have tried PFD and had no success, my broker just said to pay it, doesn't feel settled or PIF matters, but I don't want to mess this up.

Thank you all for your help/advice.  These forums have taught me sooooo much!

Starting scores Aug 2013: EX-546, EQ-500, TU-530
Current Scores: EX-665, EQ-630, TU-620
GOAL: 700 Club and a home of my own!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: FP Charge Off Pay In Full vs. Settle

As far as FICO scoes go, it doesn't matter if it's PIF or settled.  There might be a difference to the UW however.  But I doubt that because it is so old.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Angelmom9905
Established Member

Thank you Shogun!  Thats my thought too. Better to use the $ saved towards closing costs (fingers crossed).

Starting scores Aug 2013: EX-546, EQ-500, TU-530
Current Scores: EX-665, EQ-630, TU-620
GOAL: 700 Club and a home of my own!
Message 3 of 5
slund5499
Established Contributor

I had a FP charge off from 2011. I tried disputing this account with the CRA. I Called and wrote emails to FP Eo and offered PFD.....No go

I wrote GW letters to EO with no sucess.

Ultimately, I just paid the account in full electronically through my bank. Waited 24 hours and then called to confirm they received, accepted and posted the payment.

Account balance is zero and customer service shows it paid in full.

Been 2 weeks and the CRA still have not updated the credit report to show zero balance and paid.

I even got an email from Admin Asst to CEO validating that the account is paid in full and has a zero balance. Within the letter, they disclosed that they would not respond to any future emails relating to this account.

I do not know how they will report to CRA, but I am tempted to call the CRA and offer the email as proof the account is paid in full with a zero balance. Maybe the CRA will remove the charge off status.

ANy thoughts or ideas from the forum?

In the garden since 02/1/23. Newest Account AU Discover It 10K
02/23 Scores; EQ 608 TU 642 EX 575 CCU: 20%, Inq. 2, 1, 2 Collections $39K
Lending Club: newest account 2/3/23. Old Fico 1/17 EQ 530 TU 542 EX 512

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A two week delay is not uncommon.  They most likely did not or will not actually submit to the CRA until their next regular reporting cycle.

I would give it at least a month of patience.

As for sending to the CRA, they normally will not enter changes to your credit file based on communications from you, but rather wait until they receive formal instructions from the creditor.  The likeliness of the CRA deleting based on payment of the debt is slim to none, as such deletions are directly contrary to their policy of no deletions based on payment of the debt.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.