Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall-off dates and collections

tag
Bratbaby
Contributor

Re: Fall-off dates and collections

Well, assuming they can verify the debt as my responsibility, I was unaware of the account and never paid anything on it. So the DOFD would be 30 days after the first payment was due. I don't recall any CD's arriving at my house; the CD selections don't sound like anyone in the family would have ordered them. I thought it was a crossed wire when I called the CA and it would be a simple thing to remove it. They did, however, have my correct address and this sent me into a frenzy of research for ways to get this off my CR. Thank you so much for your input!
Message 11 of 14
jre
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

It's not necessarily the first late.

It is the first late in the most recent chain of delinquency that preceded the collection.

If you were 30-late, brought the account back into good-standing, and then had a new 30-late, DOFD would be the new one.

Thank you for clarifying! 

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 12 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If any information appears in your credit report that you can assert was never authorized by you, then you can make use of the FCRA identity theft process to have it blocked from your credit report, and to obtain any records in possession of the creditor that allege to show that you did authorize the account/transactions

A simply statment asserting accounttransaction not mine or not authorized by me is not adequate.

You must be willing to ut that statement into a sworn police report, which carries criminal penalties for any knowingly false statements.

By asserting account/transaction not mine, you are essentailly asserting that if the creditor has any such authorization, it must have been provided by soneone else using your identity.

By sending a copy of the police report to the CRA, along with a statement that you never authorized the account and with proof of your identity, the CRA must then block all information realted to the identity theft from your credit report.  See FCRA 605B.

Additionally, you can send a copy of the police report to the creditor, and request all business records in their possession pertaining to the identity theft information

See FCRA 609(e).  That will provide information that can be used to then attempt to resolve the issue of the debt itself.

Message 13 of 14
singleindependentmom
New Contributor

I had a Columbia house on my report as well, my daughter ordered movies.. I just paid the bill and they deleted the transaction. I just wish all companies were as easy as that one. I think I had a different CA than you have

Starting Score: Experian 514 Equifax 510 TransUnion 510
Current Score: Experian 630 and everything still In Progress
Goal Score: First Goal 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.