Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fall off - old accounts

tag
Judilynn
Established Member

Fall off - old accounts

I have 2 old accounts that Transunion shows will fall off in 5/2014.  I checked and they haven't fallen off yet.  I'm working on a mortgage and just wondered if anyone knows how long it takes for them to actually fall off.

I love these boards - reading through the topics has really helped me get my act together.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fall off - old accounts

It could be as late as end of the month. I had a very late in the month removal with an account that fell off in March.  You can ask the CRA to take it off or dispute it as obselete. If fall off is within the same month, you shouldn't have any trouble getting it removed. If it's possible to wait a couple of weeks on the mortgage, then you'd probably have time to get that done. If you're mid-process on the mortgage right now, there is some risk of a lag time with the dispute showing on your CR ... but, I think the CRA's usually do a pretty good job of deleting quickly if it's obsolete.  

As for me, mine was reporting throughout the month it was due to fall off. I actually called the CA and asked them to remove their reporting on two different CRAs. By the last week of the month, it was gone. I don't know if my CA call helped or not. If it wasn't gone by the end of the month, I was going to dispute as obsolete with CRA.

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 2 of 10
FatBank
New Contributor

I've had accounts take a month or so longer to fall off than what the fall off date was listed. I wasn't apping for anything so I just let them run their course. I would try to call the CRA's before you disputed them. Good luck!

Starting Score: Fico TU 571 (11/21/12)
Current Score: Fico EX 719 (04/23/14) Fico EQ 681 (04/18/14) Fico TU 713 (03/31/14)
Goal Score: 720+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Wait until the end of the month.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 10
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Judilynn wrote:

I have 2 old accounts that Transunion shows will fall off in 5/2014.  I checked and they haven't fallen off yet.  I'm working on a mortgage and just wondered if anyone knows how long it takes for them to actually fall off.

I love these boards - reading through the topics has really helped me get my act together.

I had accounts that where scheduled to fall off between 04/2014 and 07/2014.  I contacted both TransUnion and Experian direclty and without hesitation, they removed the accounts at my request.  

Unfortunately, I wish Equifax wasn't so difficult.  I have reached out to a consumer protection attorney for assistance.  For some reason both TransUnion and Experian removed the account in 04/2014 which is 7 years from the DoFD.  However, Equifax wants to hold onto the account until 07/2015 which is 7 years from the last paymement made on the account.

Message 5 of 10
Judilynn
Established Member

Hi Jay:

Thank you for the information.  Did you just call the numbers for TU and EX?  I didn't know if I should try to call or just leave them alone.

Message 6 of 10
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

For Experian, I did contact customer service and asked if the account could be removed early.  Without hesitation, the representative suggested that she could remove the account.  With TransUnion, I actually initiated a dispute online.  There was a dispute option which said something like, account is to old to be reported.  

The following day, I received confirmations from both Experian and TransUnion via email acknowledging that the accounts had been removed.  

Best of luck with the home buying process!

Message 7 of 10
creditlost
New Contributor

What number did you use for Experian? Every number I've used is a recording to dispute. I can't find a number to talk to a real person. Thx

Message 8 of 10
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@creditlost wrote:

What number did you use for Experian? Every number I've used is a recording to dispute. I can't find a number to talk to a real person. Thx

1 800 493 1058 - it looks like their hours are M-F 09:00 - 5:00.  Maybe give them a call tomorrow and you will be able to speak with a live representative.  

Message 9 of 10
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Judilynn wrote:

As others have mentioned, you should wait until the end of the month, but if it is not removed by then, simply contacting TU (or using their online dispute feature) as account being too old to remain on file, they will remove it very quickly. They removed one of mine within 48 (I think - or maybe 72 hours... I can't really remember the exact time it took for them to remove it, but it was fairly fast).

Hope that helps

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.